Thread: prs z ugrade and new dust shoe.

Hybrid View

Default prs z ugrade and new dust shoe.

got the z installed a couple weeks ago. a few bugs but nothing earth shattering. it works great and got rid of my slop I had after 10 years of use. since it has a easy to adjust bar to hold the dust shoe I changed my old design thats clamped onto the spindle to one that can be adjusted. I like using horsehair brushes as they last and are really flexible. but for the 3" long ones I will have to make a wider shoe as they tend to get sucked up when cutting. I have room now to get a 4" hose in front but it would be tight and I would have the same issues I had with the 3" in front rubbing on everything. so I will stick with 3" and I will go to 4" right after when the new hose comes in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There you go teasing me with another way to spend my money. Although the z depth can get a little tight at times i cant say that i have had a real need for it. Most of my wood stock is 1.7 inches thick. That said i am curious if someone could posts pictures of things they were able to cut with the upgrade.

I don't need the extra z too often but when Ido these big signs that are usually a bit over 3" I could not cut through them. rousing a laser or pen on thick material running out of headroom. the best part is now my default z is 2" and I can change the bit and remove the brushes without using the keyboard command. getting rid of the slop was great and making room for the chose really helps. I got some new 4" hose and found out running the hose over the top takes care of the 3" hose catching on anything.
    my shoe is a lot lighter now too and adjustable. I need to make one with 3" brush but it needs to be wider or the dc will suck up the bristles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been toying with building a new dust shoe. I now have access to a laser that I could use to cut the acrylic. However, I haven't found a supplier of brush material. Do you have a recommendation that you could share with me? Second question, how do you mount the brush material to the shoe?

Thanks for including some pictures. It truly is worth a thousand words.

you can buy just the brushes from Kents shoes. But i dont know the link.

http://www.brush.com/type/tstrip.html
    SG