Thread: plastic engraving hold down

Default plastic engraving hold down

Hello everyone. This is my very first post. I just got a new shopbot max last week and have been having a great time with it. I work for a school and one of the projects is to engrave name plaques on 1/16 gold on black Rowmark. It has been working ok but I am looking for a good solution to mount the plastic to the spoil board without it bubbling up. Any help would be great.

Thanks

thin plastic can drive you nuts vacuum only works so well. usually the best way would to leave the paper on the back if there is some or use transfer tape on the back then spay adhesive it to a backing. I usually use coroplast but as thin as your plastic is maybe something like mdf would be a better choice.

When doing name badges (and I do a bunch) I just use two sided carpet tape and masking tape. However I use a trick I learned from my scroll saw buddies. On my base I apply a piece of masking tape and then the two sided tape see pix 01. On the BOTTOM of the badge I put another piece of masking tape leaving a little tail so I can easily remove the badge once its done. I then stick the badge onto the two sided tape on the base and route away. See pix 02. The sticky lasts about 9 or 10 badges so replacing it after 6 or 7 works and you won't ruin a badge. The first piece of masking tape makes removal easy. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Great. I was so focused on working top down I never thought of using an adhesive. I was able to make a crude frame to keep from moving but it still would bounce a bit. This should take care of it.

Thanks

Creative Solids, Fairfield Glade Tennessee

Getting ready to make first signs using rowmark ultra mattes 1/8” material. Have practiced on 1/4” king color samples. Two questions; 1. What do you recommend for cutting material to size? Would 80 tooth melamine blade atb grind 6 degree hook blade on my table saw work? And what is your recommendation on the $149.00 FET - floating engraving tool
    thanks
    don