Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: losing sleep...

Default losing sleep...

This customer wants a mantel on this “round” stone fireplace…

They want it wall-to-wall. The fireplace approximates a radius, but “free-form” would be more accurate!
    I’m wondering if anyone here has done something similar, or how you’d go about it if you did.

Losing sleep…
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would hand scribe it (lots of info on how to do that) use that to get the cnc model close then use that scribed template to get it cut to actual size.

Plus 1 to what Steve says... that is a hand scribe job
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

You could mount it several inches from the wall to obviate the need for scribing. You could design the supports to reinforce that design choice and make it seem natural and right. You could then cut on the SB.

Hand scribing to that rock wall would be a bear, especially with a thick mantle. The big question --- do they have a budget for scribing and close fitting?

Perfect! Thanks Guys! I’ll do both…

I’ll “quick-and-dirty” scribe a sheet of foam to get in the ballpark and know what radius will clear the stone… then I think I can cut the mantel from a 4” X 12” beam in three sections that I’ll bowtie together.

I have too much work ahead of me that I’ll enjoy lot’s more than scribing and chiseling on site… If the customer doesn’t go for the gap between the mantel and stone, I’ll likely turn down the job.
    Thanks again!

Now to get some sleep….
    SG

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I think I would make a model from something cheap 1/4 plywood to make sure it fits good then cut it for real and like was suggested using a gap rather than hand fitting it. If you got the gap real small you could use a sanded grout caulking to fill that gap that would make it look like a perfect fit. With the plywood you could make it over size length wise cut it overlap the pieces to get a perfect fit measure that then cut.

My .02 and I am glad you are doing it and not me.

Mike
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

This is in my living room and I have been wanting to make a mantle for it but I am not sure how far from the stove it would need to be the stove puts out a lot of heat. The picture does not show the upper portion but the hearth goes to the ceiling about 12' high and also spans a corner but at least it is flat no arc the heat issue is what has stopped me from making a heart mantle.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Michael…
    Here’s a little handout I wrote to give with mantels when we’re not installing them… It explains the height mantels must be above a fire box… not entirely sure it’s valid when using a franklin type stove…
    SG
    http://photos.treasuresfromtrees.com...allery=4805312

Steve, you may not like this, due to the mess..... But I had to fit concrete forms up against a rough stone wall once. The first one I scribed the form,,,,,, miserable work........ The next one, I used my angle grinder, and cut a groove into the stones, they were soft limestone, and it was much easier that way........ Now, I was working where it was a messy area, and grinding stone is really messy........ but that could make fitting your mantle a lot easier. Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Keep in mind, that over that 4" height of your mantel, the contour of the stone is likely to change greatly. If scribing, you may have to scribe a high and a low profile and then laminate your mantle with a thinner layer on top and bottom that is scribed and the center thicker section be undersized to allow for fit. Just a thought on an option, but mainly just pointing out that the top and bottom over a 4" vertical will not be the same scribe.
    Scott