Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R2D2 cut on Shopbot Buddy

Default R2D2 cut on Shopbot Buddy

This is a project I thought I would share. My son and I started this project last year when he was diagnosed with cancer. He was 17 at the time and was going to have to withdraw from school so we decided to do this as a project together to learn robotics. As it turned out the chemo was a lot for him and he couldn't really help much but I continued on and finished the project. I would take R2 to the children's hospital when my son was getting chemo and entertain the other kids. He has brought a lot of smiles. The body frame, skin, legs, and feet were all cut on my Shopbot Buddy.

In the last four months since R2 has been operational he has also participated in a few Make-A-Wish wishes as well.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Mcclary
    www.HighVoltageHotrods.com
    Custom Electric Cars, Engineering, and Parts

Andrew,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son.

What you have done with this R2D2 is incredible and taking it to children's hospitals is so very cool. Incredible job on R2D2. Looks better then the original.

Thank you for posting.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Ditto!
    Fantastic effort......

I hope all goes well with your son's treatment.........

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Great Job! Praying that all goes well.

Andrew, your story is beyond impressive in a number of ways. My wife is having chemo treatments so I can empathize. I wish you, your family and especially your son well.

Phil

I have seen and heard many stories about 'paying it back', this is certainly one of the best! I hope you and your son get to spend some quality time with one of my favorites, R2D2! Thank you so much for the post. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

I must have just gotten some ShopBot dust in my eye and I really need to go hug my daughter right now.

That is awesome all the way around. Well wishes for everybody. Thanks for sharing.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

First and foremost: Prayers for your boy!

This a great post. If you get a chance to mix a hobby with making the kids smile. Well, I'd call that a total win. Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. I'd love to hear more details on the build as I am sure others are too.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Quote Originally Posted by andrewm View Post
    This is a project I thought I would share. My son and I started this project last year when he was diagnosed with cancer. He was 17 at the time and was going to have to withdraw from school so we decided to do this as a project together to learn robotics. As it turned out the chemo was a lot for him and he couldn't really help much but I continued on and finished the project. I would take R2 to the children's hospital when my son was getting chemo and entertain the other kids. He has brought a lot of smiles. The body frame, skin, legs, and feet were all cut on my Shopbot Buddy.

In the last four months since R2 has been operational he has also participated in a few Make-A-Wish wishes as well.

Thats absolutely amazing. Wow!

Best wishes for your son...