Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC Pipe Jig

Default PVC Pipe Jig

We have a couple AT devices we make out of furniture grade PVC and have used the chopsaw/PVC pipe cutters in the past, but it would be efficient to create a jig to hold the raw stock on the bot to drill, mark, and cut the pipe to length.

Has anyone made a jig to hold pvc on their bot?
    We use 1/2" up to 2" pipe.

Image of devices:
    20170425_104751.jpg

Not to go against CNC or anything, but for the particular picture you posted this looks like a good job for simple miter bench and drill press stop jigs. I may be looking at it wrong, but It seems like it would take longer to set the job up on the Bot than to cut the pipes to length and drill holes.

On a similar note, there is a part that I have been recently asked if I could mill on my Bot. It uses 2" solid round plastic stock and a .75" dado needs to be cut the entire length of the stock about 1" deep. I have come up with a hold down jig in my mind consisting of 2 beveled runners riding slightly on top of the stock (for horizontally and down pressure) that you could slide the stock in one end, mill, and slide out when done. That's the best I can come up with right now on holding round pipe to machine.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

You can make a V-shaped jig to accommodate all sizes that hold the pipes with adjustable set screws or clamps. Just route a V into a 1.5" thick MDF glue-up.

I would still recommend using the chop saw for cutting to length. PVC easily explodes if routed too aggressively & light cuts make it incredibly inefficient.

You may find what this guy did helpful.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Plus it will just cut faster on a chopsaw.

Yeah, completely hear what everyone is saying about speed. But if we're making a large quantity the setup time may be worth it.
    I like the V-shape jig.

I can see drilling those 4 holes if you can find a fast way to jig and hold the piece in place.but the chop saw for cutting length would be faster and more accurate.

I cut 1.25" and 1" PVC to use as adjustable legs for a stool for kids. The 1.25 has 4 through holes, each countersunk. The holes have to be quite accurate to work with a spring snap. I use a chop saw to cut to length. I find it is a very fast and precise process to build a simple jig for the drill press. It would take me much longer to do with the ShopBot. I do these in quantities of at least 30 each time I build them. I do use the Bot to cut the Baltic Birch tops, of course, and the attachment block. I also found recently a slower speed to drill the holes works better than a fast one.

yes about as slow as you can't with HSD spindle is 3k way too fast.

I had to learn the hard way takes longer to reset the jig than it would to drill the holes on the drill press.
    Here's what I ended up cutting out to use as a jig on the chop saw:
    Chop Saw Jig v1.jpg
    And in use:
    20170426_090017.jpg
    Here's what I thought I would use for the Bot Jig:
    Drill Jig v4 Unloaded.jpgDrill Jig v4 Loaded.jpg
    New jig for the press to come.

yes to make a jig to really hold the pipe well to drill will take some work and some setup time. cant see it being practical.