Thread: recent sign

Default recent sign

Here is a recent sign for an excellent customer. The size had to meet restrictions to avoid a special sign tax so we incorporated a mailbox post to go with it. That makes it look bigger while the restriction only covers the size of the sign.
    alderwood 2 small.jpgalderwood small.jpg

Good job Bob,

I like the texture and the choice of letter style. This one will read from a distance due to the contrast.
    Aren't these fun to make!

Joe

Thanks Joe. We have made more than a dozen signs for this couple and they are great to work with. It really makes it fun when your work is appreciated.

Yep, I know what you mean. I'd say about thirty percent of my work comes from regular clients. For me there's another big advantage to this craft which is seeing what you've done while driving around the community. That's a major reason to build them to last. That attention goes into every step along the way.

O, by the way, I have a commission for a redwood replacement sign due to a auto crash. My regular redwood supply no longer has tight grained vertical lumber. It's all open grained. Meaning there's lots of latter wood to deal with. That's no problem with a CNC since the depth can be rendered with the sandblast mask applied to the surface. Then a very light blast will bring out the beauty in the wood. I've found a gentle blast with very fine media works best. Heavy sand like 20-50 fine looks too crude.

Joe

Build them to last indeed. My first dozen or so signs were made with spar varnish. Every sign that was exposed to even minimal sunshine peeled within a year or so. I replaced every single one and almost quit making signs before finding better coatings. Good job with getting the redwood sign order. Despite all of its faults, wood is still my favorite material.