Thread: 1/2" Ball nose feed and speed

Default 1/2" Ball nose feed and speed

I need some help with feed,speed and cut depth in hardwood for an onsrude half inch ballnose 2flute upcut.

It has been a while since adding a toool and I cannot find anything or rememeber how to?

Help Please

I run my ball nose the same feed and speed as end mills of the same diameter.

Like always, depends....e.g. on the material and required depth of cut.

Assuming this is for full 3d carving finish cut and rather deep carving I try to go as deep in one cut as the flute length allows for, use the step-over that gives the required surface smoothnesss and adjust the feed so that the spindle has something to do (may take an experiment). In most cases that eliminates the need for a rough cut. As an example I may end up with 1.5-2.5 ips and use 10-12krpm for a 1/2" bit and 0.02" step-over (IIRC).

One thing that never fails to make my machine chatter and ruin the part is trying to cut a slot with a ballnose bit, even at moderate depth. Must have to do with the spherical geometry of the business end.

For a generic cut as you describe on my PRS I run these settings and adjust my speeds and feeds based on material. Foam faster and deeper and aluminum shallower.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley