Thread: Cutting strategy

Cool Cutting strategy

I am making some experimental billet two sided power valves for a two stroke racing jetski. The issue is hold down. Isn't it always? lol

Sides shown here: Well since its being cut two sided tabs are a bit useless. Or so I thought. I was going to make a profile cut for each side that would be just shy center by 0.5" and then a partial profile leaving some material in a few places or homebrew tabs.

Well tabs don't care how deep you cut if you say tabs you get 'em!!

So I made my profile cut exactly 1/2 way. I also set my tabs very carefully so they would match-up on both sides. This gave me tabs centered in the work!! I know this is a bit hard to see but if you can imagine the same cut on the other side you'll see what I am talking about.

I post this in hopes that it helps someone having the same type of issue.

~Yours in sawdust (Or hot aluminum flecks today)

This job on my PRS
    Speeds:
    RPM 11K
    XY 1.3 inches/sec
    Z 0.25 inches/Sec
    cut depth 0.02
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Follow up. This worked well.

Here you can see the tabs are centered in the work

Below are the top and bottom cuts for the curious.

~Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Follow up. These power valve guides worked out great. Now making some tweeks to improve them performance wise.