Thread: Plastic composite finish nails

Default Plastic composite finish nails

Senco, http://www.senco.com/fasteners/ is advertising plastic nails. Should be perfect for CNC hold down.

Phil

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    Senco, http://www.senco.com/fasteners/ is advertising plastic nails. Should be perfect for CNC hold down.

Phil

Phil
    senco worked with red hawk on it so they are compatible with red hawk nails. since the senco gun is 70.00 more and the nails are almost twice the cost it is good to have options. I ordered the red hawk gun and nails and I got the nails and the gun is on the way. I will post a list of what can and can't be nailed.

Are these similar to the Raptor nylon nails....I have used these for nailing down the spoilboard before I went to vacuum.
    I just used a cheap off-the-shelf finish gun which worked fine for the amount of nailing I did.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Are these similar to the Raptor nylon nails....I have used these for nailing down the spoilboard before I went to vacuum.
    I just used a cheap off-the-shelf finish gun which worked fine for the amount of nailing I did.

Cheers
    now you tell me you could use a regular gun. yaI think they are the same. I hope to have the gun this week. though I would have to buy a gun anyway since my 15 gauge is a angle gun.

ok got the gun and did some testing. they were out of the 1" nails so that's what I need the most (G) I was able to use the 1.25" nails in 3/4" Baltic birch and that was pretty good.
    the nails are blunt and can blow put out the backside of material if you don't have good pressure on the parts. they also don't pull parts tight. not sure what you could use the 1.5" nails on I don't think they would penetrate mdf all the way. I need to sue them more to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    they also don't pull parts tight.
    This has always been my problem with the system. I purchased the gun and composite brads and was disappointed with the performance. Whenever I tried shooting anything into my mdf spoilboard, the top piece lifted creating a gap between the work piece and the spoilboard regardless of the amount of pressure I applied to the gun and/or work piece. The gap rendered any accurate z milling out of the question. The only way to make the system work for me was to screw the work piece down tight to the spoilboard, then shoot the composite brads through and then remove the screws to prevent accidents. Not worth it for my applications.

I usually turn on the vac then nail down so it may not be a big issue. but we will see. I ahve had to get up on the table to hodl a part down while screwing it hopefully it does not come to that.