Thread: Buying a Used Shopbot

Default Buying a Used Shopbot

Hello All,

I am interested in purchasing a CNC router that has the ability to carve very fine details into 4x8 or similar sized HDP/butterboard in order to pull master molds and cast them...in addition to being able to inlay, 3d carve exotic woods. Will the rigidity and power of a PRS or PRT allow me to do this? There is a machine available for purchase however I am not able to distinguish whether or not it is an PRS or PRT or standard/alpha for that matter in the pics. I am assuming I would need an alpha machine. Thanks in advance!

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/tls/6105216816.html

I don't know for sure but it is a belt drive I think it is a pr. it is pretty old

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    I don't know for sure but it is a belt drive I think it is a pr. it is pretty old
    Ok, great..thanks for letting me know!

others here can tell me you could tell the most by looking at the control box. but it seems expensive for how old it is. but think around year 2000

That is a PRT with an older PR ball screw style Z. Would need to see control box to know if original control or 4g control.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Quote Originally Posted by zeykr View Post
    That is a PRT with an older PR ball screw style Z. Would need to see control box to know if original control or 4g control.
    Ok, thanks for the info. I will have to find out if the control box is 4g and if so look at an upgrade to a R&P for the Z to maximize the speeds. Would the machine with those upgrades be able to perform the cutting tasks mentioned?

Thanks.

Your time (and dollars) might be better spent looking at one of the PRS models that have been in production since 2007. I also think you are correct is assuming the task would be best done with an alpha model. At the very least, the hardened rails of the more modern machines makes a great difference when you are looking for mold quality.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    Your time (and dollars) might be better spent looking at one of the PRS models that have been in production since 2007. I also think you are correct is assuming the task would be best done with an alpha model. At the very least, the hardened rails of the more modern machines makes a great difference when you are looking for mold quality.
    Ok great, thanks Gary and to all for giving me information on the machine, glad I didn't jump into that one for 7500 obo.

Quote Originally Posted by parabolicsecan View Post
    Ok great, thanks Gary and to all for giving me information on the machine, glad I didn't jump into that one for 7500 obo.
    I had same experience, old ShopBot offered to me at $6000, almost bought but someone beat me to it (thankfully now), waited a bit and found a very nice 3 year old ShopBot for a good price.
    Keep an eye out, you'll find a good machine to do what you want.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net