Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photovcarve test run

Default photovcarve test run

I am looking to purchase photoVcarve for our school and have not had great luck with the trial version. I know that it is water marked but it will not turn the spindle on and it starts in a random spot on the bed. I read something about a command to start the spindle but am mystified with the fact that it moves completely off the work piece. Any thoughts and advice would be welcome before I spend the money.

Thanks

Most problems like you describe is due to human error. As far as starting the spindle that is something controlled by the control software and post processor for your machine.
    When you set up the photo within photovcarve, i think you have to designate the material size, and placement of the photo within your material.
    Then you have to set your "start point" being either the center or corner of the material. Once you define the parameters of your material, and your cutting area within the material then you won't have problems. As it is you are just not doing something correct.
    Rest assured we ALL have done this when starting out. Maybe post some pictures or files to show us what you are doing so we can see exactly what is going on.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I will keep trying. I may have entered the wrong dimensions for the work piece and the cut is starting on the far side and working back to zero. I have been doing well with placing different cuts at the correct coordinates. I can try some pics as I go.
    Thanks

Where the cut starts (within the confines of the material) is usually calculated by the program. Here is a picture that might help.
    in this example your table is 48x96
    your material is 24x36
    place your picture within the 24x36 and define it's start point (X,Y zero start point in center of material for example)
    Google is your friend
    http://support.vectric.com/training-...al/photovcarve
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krFyBxYwWW8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

in the setup of the material where is the X Y Datum position if it doesn't match where you place the piece on your table then the cut will be off. I always set mine at the bottom left and use the tables X Y zero. What Shopbot do you have. is it setup to turn the spindle on and are you using the proper post

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

I have been thinking of getting photo V-carve what type & size bit do you use to carve with? Do the files take a long time to produce? I have an idea that I want to explore but if it takes many hours of machine time to produce a say 8" x 10" project I doubt I could make any money on said item.
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

Any lithopane i've done has been within a 12"x12" piece of corian and mine usually take between 4-6 hours using a 1/8th ballnose
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

I use a 1/16 ball nose taper bit for my lithos and 3D carvings. I bought them from Carvewright when they had a sale on them

Miller Marine Products, Ridgefield Washington

Those are nice Jack!
    WWW.MillerMarineProducts.com
    Proto Trak DPM CNC Bed Mill
    Brand X Industrial router
    Sharp SVL-2416SE-M VMC

I use a 1/32 ballnnose and get details down to a single strand of hair.
    8x10 takes around 5 or 6 hours, could be less if you are willing to sacrifice detail.
    I've sold quite a few and made some as gifts, actually more labor and $$ involved making the light box than the litho.
    Doug