Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaned and lubed up, and new pinions day

Default cleaned and lubed up, and new pinions day

Hard to believe, that my machine is approaching the end of year #5. I took delivery of my machine in Feb 2012.

Although I have been pretty good at regular maintenance with regards to lubrication and cleaning the racks/tracks and rollers, I knew a while back my pinions were starting to wear slightly. Noticable when doing some V carved doors, smaller holes and pocketed grooves where accuracy was every so slightly showing some wear.

Last Thursday I ordered new pinions. They came yesterday (not bad for going from NC, USA to Northern ON, Canada).

SPent a few hours this morning cleaning everything up, changing pinions and lubricating everything. Then a series of test cuts to make sure things were good, and they were back to like new.

The only "issue", was with my large aluminum deck table, it is not practical to slide off the whole table. My solution, to access the deck pinion (X axis) was to block up the deck-to-base with wooden blocks and wedges, enough to unbolt and slide out the 6' power stick. Then, with the aluminum deck members being individually fastened down (see my build thread) I removed three rows of deck, changed the gear, put the deck back, slid the power stick back in, and replaced the bolts. I was able to do this without help from my employees. I spent a few days thinking how the best way to access this pinion was going to be. With the vacuum fastened to the underside of the deck, and with the deck weighing upwards of a few hundred pounds, removing it was my last option and the way I ended up doing it was easy, and safe.

Anyway, I should be good for a few more years!

Andrew, my Buddy is approaching the same age......was wandering, other than some slight inaccuracy that you noticed is there anything else that made you think that you definitely needed to replace pinions.......something that definitely lets you know you need new ones? Did you replace all pinions or just the deck one?
    Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Andrew, my Buddy is approaching the same age......was wandering, other than some slight inaccuracy that you noticed is there anything else that made you think that you definitely needed to replace pinions.......something that definitely lets you know you need new ones? Did you replace all pinions or just the deck one?
    Cheers
    I replaced all three. I felt for the cost it was not worth trying to replace less than all of them.

I only noticed the slightest of variance when doing a pocket, trying to fit something snugly. Or when cutting plywood where you cut climb first, then all the way through with a conventional feed. That little step was larger than in the beginning.

They were not very worn. But surprisingly the y axis (gantry) was the worse. I expected the x as it moves my heavy deck. But I guess I tool path more to cut along the y than x when you're going back and forth a zillion times.

For no real reason other than age i ordered all three of mine as well. My buddy was bought in 2010. I am a hobbyist and do mostly 3d but for a hobbyist i do stay busy. They came in quickly. But while waiting for the delivery i cleaned my x axis on my buddy which was extremely dirty and the pinion looked great. I plan on inspecting my y and z soon, but if they look as well the new ones might go into storage

I've been advised annual replacement of pinions for a business use machine. Waited 4 years on my first replacement set, but should not have done so. Had evidence of chatter and shift at beginning of plunge cuts. Fully tipped off to the problem when I accidentally plowed through 3/4" mdf in one pass. Cuts were not straight - very visible. Since then, I am replacing annually, and just received a fresh set. For what these machines are doing for us, it is well worth the time and effort to keep them "as new". I'll bet we all average more money on oil changes for the shop vehicle per year than $90...

IMPORTANT NOTE: you will not be able to see the wear in the gears as you replace and may feel their good, but trust that it will make a difference in cut quality. As I understand it, these are softer than the rack rails and made to wear first. However, running mis-shapen pinions regardless of how they appear to the naked eye can speed the demise of the racks.

An ounce of prevention....

Jeff

Jeff,
    My machine runs in spurts. Might sit for a few weeks, then run for a few days straight, etc. If I were running several days per week, I'd have changed them way sooner. I figure since I got my vacuum table set up 2 years ago (will be three years next July) I use it a lot more than the first few years. But I dont know how many hours.

I was going to change them a year ago. Just kept putting it off. 2016 was so busy, I always wanted to make an effort to sit down and call and order but most days I barely had a spare minute to drink my coffee.

Im glad I did it. I ordered a second spare set, so next time I wont have to worry about ordering them. They are already in my cabinet beside the machine.

Anyone have any tips/tricks to getting the old pinions off? I have a new set on the way (thanks to this thread for the nudge) and remember that last time I did it, as least one of the pinions took a bit of a wrestling match to get off.
    Nat Wheatley
    Plymouth Custom Closets
    www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Nat...
    When I used to change them for a living I had a "Armature Bearing Puller" to remove them. <$10 on flea bay
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks Gary, that's an investment I'll be making.

Nat
    GCMF
    Nat Wheatley
    Plymouth Custom Closets
    www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Sometimes my ignorance amazes me. Cleaned all of the pinions and they were all dirty, with the x being the worse. But they still looked to be in good shape, so i wont replace them for now. What i have failed to clean were the rollers on the buddy which had a tiny bit of gunk built up on them. So with the table rising and lowering every time it engaged the build up no wonder i was getting some weird cuttings. Oh well they are now clean.