Thread: Scanning 2D shapes

Default Scanning 2D shapes

What's the easiest way to scan and replicate larger 2D shapes? I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything.

The best current example is I'm making a new headliner for my old truck. The original is 1/8" hardboard with a perforated grid. I wanted to recreate it with perhaps some customization. Getting a vector of the outline into Aspire is the first and most important step.

One approach I have used successfully is to take a picture (as straight on as possible) with a digital camera, then trace it and scale the tracing to a known measurement on your headliner. Sometimes it is more accurate to use a slight zoom. Good luck.

I assumed that would be the easiest way, but I was concerned about distortion. Other than scaling x and y, are there any other tips to use on more complex shapes?

I thought about using some type of grid in the background to to be able to scale from after importing.

One other option is to use the 2d option in the Copy Machine Virtual Tool (TC in the ShopBot software) which will accurately copy a pretty complex shape. If you have a probe you can use that to do the copying, but you can also cover the edge of the pattern with something conductive like foil tape, wire that to ShopBot input, and use a piece of round rod as your stylus. Low tech but effective.