Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready for Blasting

Joe…

Pricing is a subject of universal interest! I know your examples will specifically apply to sign makers, but everyone can learn from you…
    I personally look forward to the thread!

Wasn’t it Ted Hall who said something like “everyone with a ShopBot eventually is a sign maker”?

SG

Would love to see a "pricing" thread started. Seems most don't want to talk about it, I guess thinking other people will rebuke them for charging too much......or not charging enough. But it is what it is. You charge what you need to charge, and mostly it's like comparing apples to oranges because of the so many different variable for sign makers scattered all over the country (shop size, number of employees, supplies cost, region, competition, etc). A $1500 sign in one area of the country might be a $2500 sign in a totally different region/demographic.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

I once took a “business” course mandated by our city for licensed contractors… The number one thing I took away from that class was that most new businesses fail within 3 years. My competition were people who didn’t know what the true costs of doing business was and were pricing themselves into failure! I don’t expect a pricing thread to say “this much / Sq Ft” is the proper charge but help novices and even old hands understand what goes into pricing a job!

SG

My Choice background for gilding is the epoxy doming. It's the fastest way to get a glass smooth surface.

Here's the steps.
    I use Precision Board epoxy because it takes a long time to set. But even in the summer you may need to put it in an ice water bath to keep it from setting. This is a 50-50 mix that I add the drip or two of yellow One Shot. After a good 2 minute mix I get out the little Dixie cups. I pour the solution down the middle of each letter and with a chop-stick encourage it to move over to the sides. Capillary action will keep the solution where it belongs.

After each letter has been completed it's a good measure to use a propane torch to encourage small bubbles to come to the surface and go away. It only takes a flash second with the flame.

If I didn't know little trick like this the whole process would be too expensive. Sometimes I think all I do are little tricks. With them it's all so easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. So how/when do you clean up the drips?
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

I'm so glad you asked.

With a #3, little hog hair brush, you can pick up most any drip in one swipe. Be sure to clean the brush in Lacquer thinner Here's an example of the way I do the pour. To get the glaze over to the edge I use a chop-stick. Simply draw a line to the edge and the liquid will follow.

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg D.jpg (251.8 KB, 299 views)
    Last edited by joe; 06-06-2017 at 11:35 AM.