Thread: Now for a pretty challenging CNC project

Default Now for a pretty challenging CNC project

Open source CNC files for a violin

No, I am not planning to try that. No way. Must resist...

man that guy does good work

Combining the bridge with the sound post is genius!!! I will have to take a good look at this project!

I still prefer the traditional scroll head though. When I designed this one I was still learning how to use Aspire. Time to revisit that old project to smooth the neck and heel...

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, James Booth did a violin scroll in Aspire as one of his projects for the 2012(?) UGM in Cincinnati. I will see if there is a link to it somewhere...joe

G, I just don't see this as much of a challenge for you. As for myself...maybe a little head scratching....joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Porter View Post
    G, I just don't see this as much of a challenge for you. As for myself...maybe a little head scratching....joe
    Oh my. Would probably be a fun project in itself. But that kind of stuff comes with a learning curve and rarely works well at the first attempt. The other problem is that I had to learn playing violin age 8 or so and hated it. After 2 years my parents gave up due to proven lack of skill on my side.
    That did not prevent me from building a banjo when I was on college from beech plywood (salvaged from school bench desk tops) using a jig saw, hand rasp and a sander. That came out quite nice and I still have it after 40 years. But the before mentioned lack of musical skills and patience to practice left me playing 3 or 4 very simple tunes so I gave that up as well.

Same here, violin lessons, but no skills. I do want to build a stringed instrument for my granddaughter, but I will have to rely on her to tune it... we will see, maybe will become musical in my old age...joe