Thread: Let the Fun Begin!

Default Let the Fun Begin!

One distinct pleasures of this trade is the use of many interesting materials. On the ones below I'm using MDO and Rough Cedar. Both are long lasting when prepared properly.

MDO is a strong substrate that doesn't warp and will last for years but the edges are always the weak point. When sealed up properly and given three coats of paint they will last a good ten years plus. Good old Rough Cedar is one of my friends. I'd rather work with it over Redwood.

For letters, especially white one's, I like PVC.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

One can go to school on those signs and mounting posts.

I'll be getting started on the Los Pueblos in a few days. Perhaps this would be a good subject for the up coming topic "Pricing". Although it doesn't look much like a down and dirty project, it really is. If prepared correctly it will last for years. But it does need a little TLC going in. The main weakness with MDO are the edges. With todays HP coatings that's no problem. O, did I mention it's cheeeep.

Joe

You mentioned Rough Cedar... is this Western Red Cedar? Any particular grade? Does it give you much problem when carving (fuzz?)?

I have a possible project coming up that will likely need to be cedar (historic designation requiring traditional materials), but I'm wary about doing a very large sign with it while I have little experience carving it.

Thanks!
    Kevin

Kevin,

That sounds like a fun project.

No matter what anyone else uses you have to make do some testing. There are so many techniques and variations in this business. Yes we use Western Red Cedar and it's fairly wet. But even if it works for the materials your would be using may be different.

One consideration when I describe how I go about putting a sign together, is the techniques to be used. While I'm not much of a machinist I can use a brush and enjoy the finishing process. So one should keep in mind their own skills. It's good to stay within your comfort level and branch out every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    It's good to stay within your comfort level and branch out every once in a while.
    As always, solid advice!!!

There's some good money to be made in this trade if you have a CNC. But it's not the equipment that makes a business go. What sells in this business is creative visual images. It takes practice!

The kind of signs I make are done in three stages.

First is the design work. That's probably the most important step.
    The second step is to build the substrate.
    Then the letters and decor are cut from PVC
    Last is the finishing. This can be texturing and painting. Sometimes the application of Gold.

The photo is one of our MDO signs with PVC lettering. The Adobe finish is hoppered on. That's fun and fast. As everyone knows deep red and maroons are close to impossible to keep from loosing their color. On this one I used 50/50 Maroon and Bright Red OneShot with their UV protector. It has four coats, rolled on.

Attached Images Attached Images