Thread: Help with sign 20' long

Default Help with sign 20' long

I am working on a sign that is going to be 20' to 24' long x 4' wide. Is there any hardware i should use to connect the sign together about every 8'. or something other i should do? Looking for some help. i have never done a sign this long be for. only 4' x 8' size.

The sign will be made of Sign Foam and PVC.

Thanks for any help

Tim

Tim,

I've made several signs of this size and here are a few tips. There are materials that I'd recommend and HDU isn't one of them. My last one was for the OKC Zoo Elephant Pavilion which was 6'X22". We used rough cedar but redwood would also be an excellent choice. The lumber was special order and we didn't use any glue. No matter what material you use there needs to be a healthy steel frame carriage to carry the weight. Signs like this are going to flex so keep that in mind. Another suggestion is pricing. Any sign like this needs to be priced HIGH. They require extra considerations. One of those is managing the substrate while in the shop.

It would help if you would show us the layout. Does it have shape? How is it to be installed?

I'll see if I can find a pix or two on those I've made.

Joe

Joe There is a banner sign there right now I am work on getting a price together right now. He wants it to look just like that. He does not want Plywood, He only wants to bring it 18" to 24" off the ground.

Thank for any Help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim,

What software are you using now? I use Flexisign but Corel would also work.

From a production standpoint, after getting the sub-strait built and your material attached I'd consider using a hopper gun to apply a texture. This would go a long way to hide joints. By applying a mask to your substrate you could have pattern where the letters and lake would go. I'd paint a blue field where the lake would be. That blue field could be rolled on in a general, loose, fashion. Then apply your mask prior to using the hopper gun texture. Once the mask is removed the lake is finished. The most cost effective material would be .75" PVC but HDU will, more than likely, cause you problems.

For the lake pattern, I'd use an overhead projector. Routing out the letters shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by upsman View Post
    Joe There is a banner sign there right now I am work on getting a price together right now. He wants it to look just like that. He does not want Plywood, He only wants to bring it 18" to 24" off the ground.

Thank for any Help.
    Redwood or cedar sounds like a good choice here.

There's a lot of white space off to the sides, it might behoove you to try and talk him down to 16' in length. It will make it easier to source material if you go the with wood.

Joe i use Corel, ArtCAM Pro 2015, and Aspire, with these i can get the design and the production done. What kind of problems will i see with the HDU? I have use it on over 50 + signs nothing this large but have never had a problems.

I going to check on the cedar wood material today. There is a cedar mill just down the road.

Also what kind of prices would you say? I price most sign a material cost x 3 to 5 for labor and production. Should i be higher? Install that's another price.

Again thanks
    Tim

I know you have some kind of production in mind and that will determine the price. I guess since you are considering HDU there must be some 3d carving involved. For me this would be a heavily textured background with raised lettering. The lake area, for me, would be recessed and have some nice blue and blue green tone. Then again it would look nice to have it framed in with live edge boards. Lots of bark showing.

Pricing,
    Material costs are the last consideration for me. First up is how long will it take to complete. Signs like this can eat up shop time. Do your best to figure that out and multiply it by 1.5. As I said earlier, this is a MDO, Drivit and PVC sign on a steel frame. Sure would look good with some lumber around it.

HDU has proven to cost us lots of money with replacements due to hail. Also it will become brittle with age and have a tendency to crack. I have photo's if you would like to see them.

Joe