Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hal Taylor Rocker Project

Default Hal Taylor Rocker Project

I just finished and am letting the finish cure some more before using. This is one of those pretty good from afar but far from good projects. I used Aspire to model the various parts and cut them on my Buddy BT32. This is a good project all on it's own, but an excellent project if you want to combine CNC and a lot of hand work. I have tried the chair out, and it will hold me, but I think I am going to hand it over to my granddaughter for regular use and give it a better lease on life.
    The chair is made out of cherry and is finished in Tried and True Varnish Oil. I will see if I can upload some pictures, thanks for looking...20170524_100420 (Copy).jpg20170524_100806_001 (Copy).jpg20170524_101005 (Copy).jpgjoe

Bravo! Very well done! You did a wonderful job. Did you order the drawings for the components or did you just model it from his book?

I have many other questions but that will suffice for now.

The chair looks gorgeous!

J

Thanks for the kind reply.. Look on Hal's website http://www.rockingchairuniversity.com/ and you will see his plans, etc. I ordered the full set of plans and the DVD and Hal was kind enough to send along a copy of his book. He caters to the student, so I really only had to study and then follow instructions...easier said than done....joe

LOL on easier said than done!

What were your biggest challenges in building this chair? Was it difficult converting his plans for use in Aspire/VCarve? Did your plans generate 2D or 3D drawings and respective toolpaths?

LOL I did warn you I had lots of questions.

J

Very impressive! Well done!
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Excellent Joe!
    It looks pretty sweet to me.
    What was the contrasting wood in the rocker lam?
    I'm sure that will give many sweet hours in the years to come, and probably rock many a baby to sleep
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Looks good to me. Looks like it will hold anyone just fine. Is it a comfortable as it looks?

That is absolutely beautiful. You should be very proud....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

very nice. I wanted to make my daughter a glider rocker but realized even if i could get the plans I doubt I have the skills now.

Thanks to all for all the kind words..
    The plans come full size on rolls of white paper. These are meant to be pasted directly to the wood and cut to the line. Instead I took them to either UPS or Staples and had them scanned and saved to a flash drive. From there I imported into Aspire and traced manually to create my parts. The good thing about this is now you can use the CAD portion of Aspire to draw the angles shown in the paper patterns accurately and, I think, makes your parts fit together easier.
    Thanks, Scott, the back braces are laminated cherry and ash and the rockers are laminated cherry and maple.
    Again, thanks to all...joe