Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: men's valet

Steve,
    Thanks for the info! Been wanting to try something like that but didn't want to invest a lot in exotic materials. The stained glass idea is perfect as I have quite a lot of tiny glass scraps in my stained glass workshop that would normally end up in the trash but now can live a new life in the wood shop! Some of your combo rounds remind me of synthetic abalam/abalone and maybe be a great 'poor-man's' substitute for my musical instrument projects. Cheaper that ivory, that's for sure!
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here’s another men’s valet I was commissioned to make…

It’s walnut with box joints, a birds-eye maple interior and suede lining. The Ouroboros symbol on the lid interior is a V-carving filled with glass frit and fused with CA glue.

I’ve started using purchased frit for my inlays as it’s a whole lot easier than pulverizing glass or minerals with a mortar and pestle! Also, an almost unlimited color palette is available.

https://shop.bullseyeglass.com/acces...it-powder.html

Several different grits are available… I’ve been using the finest (Powder) as it sands level easier.

If you haven’t read other posts about this technique, you must use “thin” CA glue… other viscosities sit on top of the inlay material and don’t “wet” or soak into it.

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

BEAUTIFUL Steve!!
    Thanks very much for the link for frit too!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine