Thread: 2017 Computer Suggestions

Default 2017 Computer Suggestions

I've looked through the archives and I see the question of what is an appropriate computer to run the ShopBot is a perennial favorite. My circa 2004 Dell tower w/ Windows XP running my ShopBot Buddy is giving me fits, so I figured I would ask about the current best options.

The machine would be dedicated to driving the ShopBot and minor editing in VcarvePro.

I know I should not need a top-of-the-line gaming machine. I'm looking for a solid, cost effective, reliable solution.

I've looked at some fanless systems thinking that would be a good option in dusty environment. Often marketed for the home entertainment market they all look more capable than my current setup, for as little as $175. Beefier options are available for a bit more.

I've also looked on Craigslist for cheap used desktops. $75 will get a pretty decent 10 year old tower.

The question of what version of Windows to shoot for is also a question.

Any experiences, thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

I just replaced mine......12 to 15 years old........hard drives only last 10 or so.
    I just bought the basic new one $399.
    You always want to keep current...........windows 10.
    I think your "Overthinking"
    Shopbot has the best tech support!

Not 2017, but January last year bought a Win7 refurbished HP tower for the second Desktop.
    That's what I'm running on my personal Desktop machine since I started, and it's been working so well, we just decided to duplicate it.
    Never been on the internet on either, and fairly stripped down on all Gunk....pretty much only VCP8.5 and SB3 and a basic image app(Irfanview).
    My control computer(2013 Win7) is way faster than this 2016 HP laptop with all the Win10 internet Gunk on it for 3D Work, and I frequently do a full design job on the control computer for that reason because I can tweak and recalc faster.
    No problems that weren't USB cord/keyboard/mouse related.
    Just mentioning.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    No problems that weren't USB cord/keyboard/mouse related.
    Just mentioning.
    Anyone with practical experience on set up and systems that are more reliable in the USB department?

Oh....I was just saying that with the Desktops set up on casters and with me in the wheelchair and at times a lot of people moving around the machine...cords got yanked or run over, and had to be replaced. Microsoft ergonomic keyboards are my personal favorite, but are prone to dust.
    Usually just had to isolate the component, and swap it out....nothing Tower related.
    Word is that Dell USBs aren't the best, but didn't know that when I bought my Optiplex and haven't had any problems...but bought the HP last year just to be on the safe side.
    Dell Packet ET is usually around 16 for me...17 on the HP (lower is better).
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I went to bestbuy and bought the lowest priced desktop they had in stock. Happened to be a Dell, and have had no issues with it once I grounded my dust collector (most of the Dell issues with USB that everyone talks about are from older systems)

I wouldn't spend $75 on something that's 10 years old, that has exceeded the life expectancy of every component in there, first time you have to replace a part and you'd have been better off with a new unit. My local BB has a $350 Lenovo that will have no issues running ShopBot sofware or Aspire.

I've thought of a fanless system myself, and they are really low priced. Some are small enough to fit inside the SB control box so you'd get good dust protection (but watch the heat, not sure how hot it gets in that box). The SB software doesn't need much to run, but aspire might bog down a little depending on the complexity of the design and how much power the fanless system packs. Just remember, the more memory the better when it comes to computers.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net

I am trying to do my research. Of course my computer looks likes it died on a Saturday afternoon at the start of a big job. I do my design work on a new Mac and just need a system to run the Shopbot and maybe the Laser “RD Works”. Is there any reason not to by a basic laptop from Best Buy?
    Thanks, Dan

I have run my Shopbot off a netbook before when I was in a pinch. If you do get a laptop make sure you change the power settings and turn off updates there is a way to do that in windows 10 if you search for it.

Here is the one I just purchased for my new SB Buddy. Just 6 weeks ago I was in the same boat as you and a couple of members of this forum said they also had this system. It is plenty powerful, has a clean copy of Windows 10 Pro preinstalled (No extra advertising type stuff in your face like on the big box store computers) , Solid state hard drive, room to add an additional SATA 3 disk drive (laptop style size disc drive) 8 Gb RAM, sufficient USB Ports, HDMI video port
    It is also available as an I3 option as well as an I7 with different RAM and drive options from Newegg. (I have bought a lot from Newegg over the years, very reputable) This thing is small enough to fit inside your Shopbot panel or Velcro to the back of your monitor - 4-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2". You can easily unplug it and take it into the house if you chose. It boots up in about 15 seconds thanks to the solid state drive. I also got a mini wireless keyboard with a touch pad.

I was going to assemble my own box but because it was going to be dedicated I decided to go with this one and love it. I am still learning Shopbot/Vcarve and have not really put it thru any severe duty but it has performed well. I have both the shopbot software as well as Vcarve installed on it although I do my design work in the house on a different I7. My shop is in range of the wifi so I can pass files thru my networked attached storage system.
    I have bought a lot from Newegg over the years, very reputable. The NUC systems can be bought barebones where you install your own operating system, memory and storage or preassembled with Windows installed which is what I did. The assembled ones are built by a Newegg approved vendor. I had it in 3 days and it is rock solid.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1853-_-Product

Quote Originally Posted by VanIslanddan View Post
    I am trying to do my research. Of course my computer looks likes it died on a Saturday afternoon at the start of a big job. I do my design work on a new Mac and just need a system to run the Shopbot and maybe the Laser “RD Works”. Is there any reason not to by a basic laptop from Best Buy?
    Thanks, Dan
    Nope, I run mine off a basic desktop from Best Buy with no issues.
    Daniel E.
    ShopBot PRS 48x96 (2010 Model)
    Porter Cable Router
    Vacuum Table w/ 2 Fein vacs
    Aspire 9.0

What I do when I don't mess up wood: http://www.pathhome.net