Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing with Firewood

Default Playing with Firewood

I'm always amazed at what I find in firewood piles
    Dad and I went fly fishing last week...and the Camp we stay at had a few pieces I asked for.
    Roughed at .1" pass depth against the grain raster until it gets interesting with a Whiteside 1.25" Mortising bit, then change to an offset/conventional toolpath until I get where I want.
    Just make a 1 pass 40% stepover toolpath, and then MN and RR down as I go (Thanks Scott!!).
    Always like seeing how the figure patterns change as I cut!
    I have no clue what I'll finally use the wood for...but it will come to me eventually
    First board Thursday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Today's piece.
    Only I can change a 4" log into a 3/4" board by chasing an interesting pattern, and THEN remembering I haven't flattened the back
    Fun for an "Off" day though

OH...1 close up of the first one...pictures aren't that hot compared to the wood itself.
    scott P.
    Maine

Nice pieces!
    Tom Bachman,
    Drafting/Woodworking Instructor RETIRED!
    Lakin, Kansas

2001 PRT4896
    https://i.imgur.com/xWEFfDk.jpg

Now I can prove to my wife that I am not the only person that does this. Much of what I burn in my stove comes from my property. I mill what I can but there are alway some beautiful pieces that are split or to short to mill. If I see a nice piece I set it aside by the stove to dry and use later.IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0445.jpg

Thanks guys.
    With today's piece I got a little more aggressive and got pass time down to 2:04 for .125" passes.
    At least I'm beginning to understand Birdseye better!
    "FIREWOOD 2" was surfaced almost as if it was quartersawn cut...And I got virtually no birdseye, but really nice curl.
    The one today was surfaced as if it was flatsawn, and I got the typical birdseye and circular figure in the wood
    Learn something new at least!
    And next year will know more about pieces to pick.
    This one at least I surfaced the first side to the first interesting spot, THEN flipped it, and surfaced second side!
    I can always take off more
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,

My hats off to you for another great thread. I'm so glad to see there are all you guys out there who are as crazy about wood as I am.

Ever now and again I'll visit one of our small saw mills. Unfortunate for me there are few mills left using a blade most everyone now uses a bandsaw. Not only is lumber more beautiful when rough cut, it's also a good selling point. For me a day at the mill is like a day at the circus. Each and every board I see is a treat and I want them all. Scraps are even more precious and I get charged up with new idea's to explore. Like Scott, I even buy lumber with no idea how I'm going to use it but when the time comes I'm always glad I made the purchase.

Thanks to this thread I'll find time for another visit to the mill.

Joe

Thanks Joe!
    Not many mills around here except personally owned small ones that slab.
    I'd hound the scrap piles if there were
    Today's piece was within .1" of my Z topping out before a little belt sanding.
    Much more splintered in the back where the ram split out the branch(?)
    Didn't sand this one, so still has offset/conventional toolmarks on it.
    I also brought out my Sorby gouges....and now remember why hand carvers prefer straight grain Basswood!
    Wishing now I had the Foredom carving handpiece, and all the bits!
    Kind of looks like a bird if you squint real hard
    scott P.
    Maine

This thread has got my interest up with local with respect of local sawmills. That's in regard if any of them are still using a blade. In this state there are huge sawmills in southeastern part of the state. Perhaps an online search would be the most effective method of finding one of these mills. I'd have no problem traveling across the state for the right kind of lumber.

So true Scott! It's a wonder I ever get enough firewood to heat my shop! Every time I go out to split up a pile I see something beautiful and, next thing you know I am in the shop cutting it up on my bandsaw.

Nice wood, Last year I ordered our firewood some of it was cherry I carved some eagle busts out of a few pieces and it paid for our firewood for the year. I have to buy it cut and split already otherwise I would end up milling most of the logs.