Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Show Your Dust Shoe!

Here is a video of my dust boot for deep relief carving: https://youtu.be/ebmxEq48RYU
    And a little writeup with cut files: http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guil..._cnc_machining
    https://youtu.be/ebmxEq48RYU

After reading about the health risks of the super fine airborne dust particulates I am actually questioning whether I should continue to use my CNC equipment. I am not sure about spending $3K-$4K-$5K on dust equipment, and if that would even be safe...

the cnc does not really throw a lot of dust in the air. though taking parts off the table can cause flying dust. in woodworking in general there is dust. using the rich dc and working hard to can minimize it.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    the cnc does not really throw a lot of dust in the air. though taking parts off the table can cause flying dust. in woodworking in general there is dust. using the rich dc and working hard to can minimize it.

Did you read the article about the fine airborne particles being like glass shards and just walking in the shop will stir up enough invisible dust to make the air unsafe... What's the rich dc?

From the article:

"By definition fine dust also known as inhalable dust by the medical world consists of fine dust particles sized under 10-microns. Because our eyes cannot see particles smaller than 10-microns without magnification, these particles are invisible. Even huge buildups of fine dust particles remain invisible. These fine dust particles are so fine and light they don't settle quickly in normal room air currents which is why they behave like an odor and rapidly fill all shared air. They are so fine and light they also almost never break the surface tension enough to harm our finishes. Unfortunately, these fine invisible dust particles go right past our bodies' normal protections and cause the most harm to our health. The different sized invisible fine dust particles cause problems in different areas of our respiratory systems as shown in the above particle distribution graphic. Most advertised fine filters for our shop vacuums, air cleaners, dust collectors, and cyclones along with too many dust mask filters freely pass fine dust particles right through so these things do a poor job helping to protect our health"

Default Economically and Effective Dust Collection (Including Fines)

I think you're right to be concerned about fine particles. Here's my setup which is both effective and economical:

ShopFox dust collector (bought with my 'bot from ShopBot)
    Cyclone collector (Oneida Air Systems 4in Super Dust Deputy Deluxe) inserted before the ShopFox (captures 99% of chips and dust so I never need to worry about filling up the ShopFox bag)
    35A274NANO Cartridge Kit from Wynn Environmental (MERV 15) -- filters 99.999% of fines down to 0.5 microns. This replaces the ShopFox cloth filter. You'll WANT that cyclone collector so you don't gum it up as they aren't cheap.

The ShopFox was $680 last year with my 'bot. The cyclone collector was $210. The MERV 15 filter was $190. Grand total: $1080 plus tax.

It's a fantastic combo -- couldn't be happier with it. The bin for the cyclone collector is just small enough that a stretchy kitchen garbage bag will work in it -- just close it up when it gets full so you don't even have to disturb the dust that's in it. Also, the MERV-15 filter has a huge area since it's pleated, so air passes through it very easily -- much better than the old ShopFox cloth filter -- so my airflow from the work surface is also much improved.

Default Attic fan

Before the bot, I had installed an attic fan in the garage to pull air through the house... years later it happened to be right above the bot.

It certainly moves anything loose in the air and places it in the attic, but as the attic fan runs off and on all summer to vent the attic... I do not think much dust stays up there.

I have just a typical dust collection system.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Splendid, thanks. And thanks for posting the files. Please consider posting on the vectric site as well for those of us (like yours truly) who do not have a shopbot and are shy (unlike yours truly) about reading another site.

I've made several along the lines of the typical shoe with magnetic held brush plates (up to 6" long brush) and have been musing over how to solve exactly what you did.

regards,
    Brian.