Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "moderator needs to approve post" ?

Aah...The "Horned Frog" made it stick in my mind Steve!
    Beautiful work!
    Does it have to be acetoned/denatured before gluing?
    I'll have to tell John to bring an extra chain and gas for his saw the next time he drives out to permanently replace his glass/plexi/air conditioner fan/Jeep windshield
    Must have been a horrendous storm, as all the bark on the cedars was stripped off one side he said.
    I wonder if that's Western Red?
    I CERTAINLY didn't know Osage Orange threw SPARKS! Must have a high silica content(have to look it up)?
    Must be a really nice wood to put up with cutter blunting.
    Thanks again Steve!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott…
    Mesquite glues up well… no pre-prep required!
    SG

Thanks Steve..I'll pass it on.
    Only have a 2.5" cube of the stuff myself, that was part of a grab bag exotic gift a Scottish Small Pipe maker;
    http://pinchbeckpipes.com/
    Gave me for spending a day demoing the Desktop
    I wonder what part of his Pipes he was using Mesquite in...Quite the nice "small scraps of exotics" I wound up with!
    Only Cocobolo has been used so far. NICE WOOD!
    Funny that it's waxed like some exotics except on one end where he cut it to fit his indexer(sealed that end with Linseed/wax)...not sure what I'll ever cut it into
    Thanks!
    Last edited by scottp55; 06-02-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    scott P.
    Maine

OUCH....I looked at Chris's site, but never realized National Geographic did a video on him.
    He was full of Shopbot questions, but I probably exposed holes in my wood knowledge a dozen times or more that day!
    http://assets.nationalgeographic.com...f-f6fa43130001

It's a pretty interesting short vid...and he's right here in Maine
    scott P.
    Maine

Wow! Great video Scott! I've never played pipes that don't have a mouthpiece so that would be weird at first.
    I'm down to a set of 'Kitchen' pipes (2 drones and a very quiet sound so I don't drive the neighbors crazy!) I'll have to add Chris to my list of places to visit! Never been to Maine. Was supposed to fly up to do a press proof on a catalog (Dingley Press) but then you got a crazy ice storm so I couldn't come... One of these days!

Thanks Mike....Yeah I loved the vid and got a better idea of what Chris was about
    He's right in Hope,Maine on the road to Camden...Lovely area, and if you have any indexer experience you'd be VERY welcome!
    I couldn't help him with that at all
    Judging by his Smallpipe selections and the wood he gave me...he's got an exotic stash to die for!
    I even have a piece of Spruce from when he renovated his shop that's almost 200 yrs old (1822).
    He wanted me to make a 2 day trip after he got set up, but with no indexer experience I tried to hook him up with 2 other people(no go).
    Probably be VERY enjoyable visit...and Camden is elegant!
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,

I've plotted out my route to include my favorite Canadian signmaker in Ontario on the way to Maine as well as Lisbon (Dingley Press), Hope and Kennebunkport! Works out to about 1200 miles one way. Now I just have to find the time in my schedule to do it!!! I'm indexing like crazy (I bought Gary Campbell's Sidewinder and have been 'playing'!)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Mike,
    There's an unofficial "New England Vectric Meet and Greet" being held at Leo's in Eastern Mass on August 19'th...If your Ontario signmaker is T.R.MacMunn..sounds like he is coming. Also Maybe Michael Mezalick and a long list of others;

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26938

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...26630&start=30

http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...26630&start=30

Maybe start there, and then work your way up the coast
    I know a really nice place to stay in Kennebunkport on a beaver pond with a California King water bed and nice Master Bath, that 2 Desktoppers from Oz gave high points when they stayed here last June for 3 days The price is certainly right!

YEP! Looks like you'll be seriously depleting your "Firewood" stash.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Thanks for the info Scott!