Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Desk

Default Open Desk

https://www.opendesk.cc
    I came across this site and though others would appreciate the quality of the design an the community concept similar to 100k Garage.
    IMG_0350.JPG

Hey Dan,

At ShopBot we're big fans of Opendesk, and have done some collaborations with them including one we called MakeLocal

http://www.shopbotblog.com/2015/10/m...y-maker-faire/

Pretty cool. Just signed up.
    2006 PRTalpha 96x48
    3hp SEV spindle
    Vcarve Pro8
    Always eager to consume large amounts of info, tips, and techniques!

Very exciting, until you download a file. All Metric. All 4'x8' material - all I can get is 5'x5' for 18mm birch in my locale.
    Final impediment: flip-ops for the entire sheet. They also don't appear to be laid out as a mirror image on the flips, at least on the fin book shelves. Oh boy....

Anyone else actually successfully complete any of these projects? I think its a great concept, but not sure I want to try with such a mess of complexity, especially critical nature of flip-ops and a file that looks incorrect as drawn.

Jeff

I've made a bunch of their stuff. Check out www.digitallyfabbed.com.

Very cool designs. You'll have to get used to their files though. I end up reworking them quite a bit.

I have not built the Fin bookcase but have built several of the other designs that make available. I did just download Fin Bookcase files though and have some thoughts:

*) As you know the US is one of the very few places that doesn't use metric units, and you'll find that the majority of designers use metric measurements. Fortunately VCarve Pro makes it really easy to switch back and forth between units, and with a couple of clicks you can work with what you're most comfortable with.

*) 4x8 sheets of Baltic Birch are harder to find for sure than 5x5, but can sometimes be found with some searching. You might see if ApplyPly is available near you..it's a little pricey but nice. If you can't find 4x8 sheets, VCarve Pro will also re-nest the parts into 5x5 sheets for you. The 12mm sheet is nested pretty efficiently in the 4x8 layout so it will take two 5x5 sheets, but the 18mm parts will fit on one 5x5

*) It doesn't look to me like there are any flipped parts in either or the drawing in the Reverse face layout, so as far as I can tell there are no flip ops in the Fin Bookcase. Several of the designs that they have do require flipping though, and you'll find those features mirrored on the Reverse Faces sheet.

Hope this helps,
    Bill

I've noticed in their designs they often show a "reversed sheet" even if you don't actually need to flip it for milling.

Whenever I make their stuff I usually end up drawing it in 3D (despite Bill's objections! ) just to get an understanding of how it all fits together.

If you don't want to draw in 3D OpenDesk has posted a ton of their designs to 3D warehouse:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...d-48b072fc6826

You can view them there, or just download SketchUp MAKE (it's free) and you can view them in detail there.

Bill,
    Sounds good. I allowed myself to get a mental block over the metrics. Played with dxf's in VCPro last night and see it can handle the metrics just fine. That back panel really had my head spinning - couldn't understand why pocketing was needed on back face.

Eric,
    I've been living in Sketchup for 10 years now, so the model helped me fully understand how this goes together. I'm wondering if you need to use the second drawing in their dxf download if making a companion case to lock back to back with the first one...?
    Anyhow, with a 3D model to verify how it all works, I am much more confident now.

Like anything else- little bit of a learning curve. Just need to reconfigure for the 5x5' sheets and take a run at it. They have some very clever/appealing designs that I'd like to try, so I'm glad I asked before dismissing the whole process entirely.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

I don't know specifically about the Fin cabinet as I haven't made one just yet.

I often find I tweak their designs a bit. I do really love the nearly hardwareless design, but sometimes a good old bolt and nut can make things work much more easily. If you want to attach two of these together back to back it might be a whole lot easier to use a cabinet connector like this:

cabinet_connector_-_Google_Search.jpg

Then you don't have to worry about flipping the piece. Drilling a hole is easy!

Not sure why I got in my head that one of the sheets was 18mm and the other was 12mm. All the parts are 18mm.

Sorry if I muddied the waters,
    Bill