Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Aspire 8.5

Default Need help with Aspire 8.5

Had Aspire and shopbot Alpha for 4 years. Every time I create a 3D model with raised text I get lines carved into the model. It doesn't show up in the preview. I've tried the add feature as well as the merge. I can remove the text and run the same file without problem. It's only with raised text. This is nothing new. Been dealing with this since day one. It's not a machine or bit problem. Can anyone help. Attached a photo. Hope I did that correctly IMG_2007.jpg

It probably is a machine problem. Do you have a 'Standard' machine? What are the feed rates set to for XY and Z. Are you running the default ramp settings when doing 3D files?

One thing you can do with this is to add a draft to just the text (and border if needed). About 10%-15% will add a slight angle to the sides and allow the Z axis to ramp up and over instead of a stop/up/stop/down motion, of which can cause lost steps in the Z axis on Standard machines.
    Scott

You may want to post this on the Vectric forum. It looks like there is a raised platform with the letter at the end of it. Maybe if you looked at each individual letter in the component tree and hi-lited each one individually and check the size and make sure you are only adding a letter and not a letter sitting on a base...I don't think the lines are being carved, I think the lines are the result of not carving the letter (with the base?). Hope this is of some help...joe

I'm with Scott on this one. A machine problem. Check the Z pinion grubscrew, seems too uniform to be loss of steps. Especially since it has done thins since day one.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I have an Alpha. It's just when I add text to the models. If I purchase a model that someone else did, and it has text, it does fine. So you are saying I can't just add text and bake the model. I need to add a slight draft to it? Makes sense. I'll try it

Not sure what you're meaning when you say base but having did that, it does sound like that's what happened

Quote Originally Posted by JMC Design & Fabrication View Post
    Not sure what you're meaning when you say base but having did that, it does sound like that's what happened
    I think your individual text letters have some extra baggage with them and is showing up in your cut. You mention the preview looks good, are you previewing the toolpath operation? Usually if that is good, the finished product will be good, unless there is a machine problem. I'm sure you are, but just needed to ask...joe

If I may add my thoughts,,, I suspect you model resolution is set to "Standard"...if so, create a new file with a higher resolution (Very High) and see if that makes a difference.
    Don't use the same file,,,the properties will be carried over.

A pixel based program will have some oddities on how it calculates the toolpaths.
    Michael

Resolution is set to very high. Nothing shows up on the preview. It doesn't leave any stray lines on anything else but if I add text it does this. Different models have different lines but you can look at it and tell it has something to do with the text. The lines align perfectly with top or bottom of the letters. If it was a mechanical issue it should affect everything I cut but it doesn't. I'm at a loss

I'm with Gary. Check the Z axis. Solved an almost identical issue on a PRS due to the Z axis bearings being too tight. I pulled the stepper and adjusted the bearings to gain free movement by hand.

Also had one where the pinion was set too far out on the stepper shaft and at one particular point it would contact the Z axis beam. That was enough to slow the axis giving the appearance of lost steps. Reset pinion and problem disappeared.

Bill