Thread: Spindle Fan wiring

Default Spindle Fan wiring

So I got a "cheap" replacement fan for the spindle and it went POOF as soon as I powered up. Both wires coming from the spindle box are black (Columbo 5hp) i figured if i hooked it up wrong it would just spin backwards? and then flip it over. Or... what am I missing. And really, I still ran it for a bit and the damn thing got scary hot. I don't want to fry it. I'll take GOOD fan replacement recommendations as well. Google just fills me up with computer case fans and cheap ****. I don't mind cheap, as long as they can be wired. I'm not much of an electrician so any input is great. But needing a new fan and to make sure I'm not screwing up the wiring!!! Thanks!

The fan on my HSD spindle is 24 volts but most computer fans I've seen have been 12 volts. That might explain the POOF?

It certainly could. I ordered 24v i thought. but I did notice it said 12v when i wired it up... it did have a red and black wire on the fan. and both wires from bot are black so that's where im basically lost

Dave…

Did the old fan have any specs on it? There’s even the possibility that the old fan is AC and not DC…

SG

If my memory serves me correctly, 5hp Colombo cooling fan = 230v...unless you have 480v...then it is 24v.

The original fan is Pabst brand. Pabst part number 3656. (assuming 230v here)

You can get a replacement from SB, PDS Colombo or Mouser part number 5912-3656.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Yu are correct. It is 230v... so both fan wires are black.. how do we know which goes where? no + or - anywhere on it....

No polarity. Either wire, either connection
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Installed a working perfect. I appreciate the input gang!!!!

Default Replacement fan on 2010 PDS Colombo Spindle

We have a 2010 Shopbot PRS Alpha with a PDS Colombo Spindle (Complete Specification below)

Advisory note. When you inspect the fan to check the model number, you will of course remove the top grill and protective sleeve. Turn the fan over to read the model number label.

The fan on top of our spindle from new was a EBM PAPST 3314 24V DC 100mA 2.4w The 3314 is no longer manufactured and has been replaced by 3314NN. (Note there are three others in the range all drawing slightly different power). Farnell Element 14 have them listed.

Be sure to mark the wires and make a note of the positions of each of the two similar coloured wires from the VFD to the junction box on the front of the spindle. This 3314NN fan has 2 connection wires one red and one blue which need M5 crimp terminals connected after the wires have been fed through to the junction box and trimmed to length.

Cautionary Note.
    Elsewhere on Forum others have posted that the replacement fan is a '3656' beware that this is a 240 volt AC fan I think for a single phase spindle. This is supplied with two similar coloured connection wires - Gary above posted "No polarity. Either wire, either connection"

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Our specifications for reference and comparison

Colombo Spindle Specification
    PDS Colombo
    220 - 380 Volt
    5 HP
    15 - 8.6 Amp
    3.7 kW
    300 - 400 Hz
    18000-24000RPM
    Serial No. 0901491

FAN Specification
    EBM PAPST