Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help!!!!!!! Control box not connecting with computer

Default Help!!!!!!! Control box not connecting with computer

OK, I'm about to pull my hair out here. I got my bot set up and ready to go yesterday. I was up half the night and have been with it all day today.

First off, when the control box is powered up should it make any noises or should any led's light up. I can power mine on and I can't tell that power is even to it unless I stick a volt meter to it.

If I click on the shopbot control software it comes up and says its "trying to locate tool". That flashes 2 or 3 times and the yellow box pops up. It says at the top of the box "COMPORT SEEMS OK BUT NO CONNECTION TO CONTROL BOX MADE"
    (PORT4). I can move the cable to the other port and it says the same thing. I have tried changing the ports in the device manager and in the shopbot software with no luck. I also tried uninstalling the drivers for the USB bridge.

When I do an uninstall of the drivers and plug the USB cord back into my computer it says "new hardware found" then it says device is set up properly". How can I get rid of the drivers and software so that when I plug the USB from the control box it will not automatically recognize it.

My email address is wtproducts@icx.net
    if someone will email their phone # so I can call and explain it better than typing. All help is appreciated.

I have a Dell Inspiron notebook computer with a celeron processor. Windows XP

The forum may or may not be the quickest route. Shopbot support is the official path. Leave them a message also.
    I'll look in detail at how my box behaves at turn on when I get home. (5PM CST) One check I can tell you from memory will indicate the control box is doing something. Once the box is switched on, press the reset buton. If the box is doing anything there should be an obvious relay click.

Hummm... the control box does'nt make any noise else than "CLICK" (and you can hear the motors being powered up and engaging) when you push the reset button and mine does'nt have any led on it... only inside...

Is the USB extension really well connected inside the control box (and the serial adapter to the USB extension)?
    Do you seem to have any hardware problem(s) when looking at the Device manager in Control Panel/System/Hardware tumb/Device manager (particulary at Ports)?
    I'd suggest to delete the current shopbot.ini file in C:\Program Files\ShopBot\ShopBot 3\ and restart the SB3 software (ShopBot control software)... won't hurt, not long and worth trying...
    Have you tryed to load the Firmware (from this yellow diag. box about communication problem)?... just for fun!... this might worth trying too!?...

And go to sleep or take a break... and mail or call support; but don't pull your hairs... this will hurt... and anyway they will fall by themselves later as you aged!
    Keep us informed of your findings...

Wayne,

Occasionally there have been machines shipped which were not wired correctly for the intended use. Usually it's a matter of a missing jumper or something simple like that. Call ShopBot support (if you can talk to Gordon he knows the most about the control box wiring) they should be able to diagnose the problem with you as you work in the control box.

Thanks for the help. When I power on the control box and push reset nothing happens. Mine was wired for a spindle for later use. I don't hear any clicks or anything. I tried support today but they were closed due to a snowstorm.

You might want to review your wiring until you get an answer about this... is the breaker on (I had to ask!!!)... what about the fuses?

A SNOWSTORM?!?!?! In NC!?!?!?!? So it's not that bad up here in Québec Canada!!!

Yep, all the breakers are on and the fuses good.I have looked over the wiring and the blueprints dozens of times. I really think their is a problem with the control box. It does nothing at all when it is powered on and I push the resets. I have a multimeter and it shows power coming into the box and on the wires going into contactor 3. At the bottom of contactor #3 their is no electric. None on any of the other connectors, which I think is normal.

Wayne,

I had the exact same problem, as did one other poster a month or two ago. We both had control boxes that had been wired for a spindle but were being used with a router. I'd almost bet money it's a jumper in the control box. I'm not fluent enough in control box wiring to walk you through it (with my luck, I'd turn a simple problem into a major one). This is definitely one for Tech support. E-mail them, and leave a message on their voice mail. They sometimes check the v.m. after hours (and during weather related closings.)

Just a thought,

Have you downloaded the sortware into the control box? This is not the sortware (Part Wizard) or (Shopbot Control). It's the firmware you install in the control box.

I have tried loading the firmware with no success. I think it is a problem with the way the box is wired. Although it does look right from what I can tell from the schematic. But I don't know much about reading them.