Thread: Old Projects Never Die

Default Old Projects Never Die

Some here may remember my MazeMaker project thread 2 or 3 years ago. A few people participated in the beta test but I got stuck on a bugs and missing features and never finished that.

Finally I have fixed most of these issues (I believe) and added a feature to import bitmap image files that can be used to create maze outlines. This can be black and white sihouettes (like in the example below), greyscale or color images. I think it is quite neat and this is my latest practical test. More info here. If you did get a free license back then for the beta that should still work with the new version.

This is the result, a 34" x 23" maze for a 1/4" steel ball. Admittedly this is way too complicated for a practical toy (except if somebody has the memory of a chess grand master) but I made that to see what is possible.

This was the original image:

Using MazeMake to convert into a blocking pattern for the maze tiles:

The running the random algorithm to create the maze within the blocking pattern confines and output the tool path files (gcode or .dxf):
    Last edited by Burkhardt; 06-11-2017 at 06:07 PM.

A simple vacuum hold-down fixture was made according to the outline of the cut-out tool path so that I do not need tabs or onion skin:

Slotting the ball channels with 1/8" downcut bit into BB plywood (phenolic clad):

Making the ball channel undercut with a 1/4" ball end plunge bit. I did not have a proper fluted bit but a ball end burr bit did the job as well (with the help of an air jet to clear the dust):

Almost finished:

Looking good Gert!!
    Downloaded the new one, AND amazingly found my license in my Gmail
    (old MazeMaker was on my old laptop that died...and apparently I never even got around to installing it on this new one
    Still have the bit I bought and never even used it...
    Something to read (and maybe play with) tomorrow morning.

THANKS!!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I also found my license… at an offsite backup!
    I tried playing with it but found I’d forgotten how it works… guess I’ll have to read the instructions!
    SG

The new "f" word...Forgotten. I am with you, Steve...joe

Well, reading the user guide surely helps (I would not really call it a "manual"). But it is simple enough to use so you can try the proven "just push any button and see what it does" method

More important than "how it works" are probably the notes concerning bits, feed rates, clamping, materials, dxf output etc.