Thread: Reassigning drivers to different axis

Default Reassigning drivers to different axis

I'm pretty sure I did this way back when on a PS. Can the drivers be assigned via software switch, to different axis. Can the A driver be assigned to act as a X driver and vice versa?

Ron...
    Within a few limitations you can assign any of the driver channels to any axis, but why would you want to? This is a leftover from the late 90's when controllers were much more limited than they are today. This was probably most often done for rotary axes, swapping X or Y for A or B. That workaround is seldom needed with todays hardware, most of which can handle 4, 5 or even 6 axes, some with multiple motors.

Just plug in the motors, assign the proper units and cut away. Side benefit is that an active channel will hold the X or Y for rotary work and maybe some off axis machining, instead of trying to position and clamp.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks for your quick response Gary. You hit the nail on the head, I have an old PRS with a 2003 controller that I use only as an indexer. I have files I have written over the last twenty some years using the X axis as the rotary axis. I have a couple old controllers with one non functioning driver that would still work on an indexer, but the drivers would have to be reassigned.