Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aspire or Shopbot problem?

Default Aspire or Shopbot problem?

I am running a large sign foam sign on my Shopbot PRT Alpha with a 5hp spindle. I am using a 1/8" ball tip bit at 175 inches per minute. The component that I am running is a 3d wood grain running in the X axis. The problem is that I am getting ridges running in straight lines on the Y axis. about a 1/8" apart along the entire length.
    IMG_0476.jpg

Those are very authentic looking surface planer marks!

The regular spacing would look like a mechanical issue… But I don’t know. Let’s see what the 3D guys say.

SG

If they don't show in the preview...90+ % of the time it's a machine problem.
    Use max simulation quality in the pull down, and we can at least eliminate one of the two.
    (NOT one of Steve's "3D guys
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

It's not surface planer marks as you see the actual surface (top left, bottom) are above this wavy surface (you don't run sign foam thru a planer anyway). Depending on how you made your toolpaths (carved letters seperate from pocketing larger space, i'd say your stepover on this toolpath is too large. You would think the letters would show the same pattern but they don't.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Drop the motors away from the rack and roll it along the X to see if you can feel the very consistent 'bump'. Check the X v-bearings. When replacing the motors, make sure that they are adjusted up into the rack properly. Would seem to be a perfectly placed 'bump' in the motion back and forth on the X axis.
    Scott

Ha!, jack…I in no way was suggesting that they were surface planer marks… just that they were authentic “looking” marks! So, if you need to simulate Planer marks in foam, we just need to figure out what t28c34 is doing!

I think Scott is on the right track with worn bearings…

SG

Probably something jammed in a roller groove I had that happen machining insulation foam the stuff got into the rollers.

Agree with Brian. Looks like something jammed in the V-groove bearing. That's the only way I can see getting that very consistent pattern.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I'm in for backlash in the Z axis. Adjust the pinion to rack or loose grub screw
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Took a little slop out of the Z axis, but that didn't take care of it. With the power off, moving the X carriage I can feel some roughness in it. With the servo motors backed off, the carriage moves nice and smooth. Pulling the spur gears off I can see some wear in them. So I have new spur gears on the way. Ill try that out before I replace the racks.