Thread: z axis upgrade

Default z axis upgrade

At one time Shopbot offered a 12 inch z axis upgrade for the Buddy. I just called and this is no longer true. Also it is only for the Alpha machines.
    I would like to use an indexer on the machine and to do it I would need a few more inches of Z travel unless I only want to turn really skinny stuff.
    Any ideas?

scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Id never go back! The 3" lift was one of the trifecta of upgrades I did for 100% better productivity (for me). The other two being aluminum deck, and large regen vacuum hold down.

I cant even remember now, trying to clamp down 1/2 sheets of plywood and melamine etc and cut all kinds of parts. Never mind small things etc.

The lift allowed me to place large things like 5" table legs and newel posts under the spindle with room for decently large bits.

Yep I'm with Andrew....I only lifted mine by inch and a half and that was enough for my needs.....no more banging the spindle at top travel limit. I guess if I was going to use a rotary indexer I'd go higher but I think you have to be careful not to go to high though....
    Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

I went ahead and did the three inch upgrade. Like Andrew says, it is almost embarrassingly easy.
    Found a cheap indexer on Ebay which looks quite good. I made mounts for my T track table and will be ready to try it shortly.