Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very High Density Foam for Fine Detail Carving

Default Very High Density Foam for Fine Detail Carving

Does anyone have small (approx 12" x 12" x 0.5") quantities available of some very high density precision HDU foams? Ideally something like General Plastic's FR-4625.

I am trying to machine parts of a model that require very fine detail. I have tried 18lb HDU but its too coarse, also tried Delrin plastic but keep breaking the fine bits since the plastic is too hard.

I am machining pieces using bits as small as 0.03". I get decent results on the delrin but I think since i am using vcarve pro 8.5 instead of more advanced CAM software the 3D finishing tool path occasionally likes to bury the bit aggressively causing them to break.

Thank you.

Do you still need this stuff? I've had good luck with the "precision board" made by Coastal Industries http://precisionboard.com/. They'll send out free samples for you to try, which as I recall were about a half-inch thick.

Andrew Werby
    computersculpture.com

Andrew, Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with precision board and I can recommend it for general use. I was working on something that required an incredible amount of detail so I ended up using 31# Duna corafoam with good results.

Quote Originally Posted by tallen84 View Post
    Andrew, Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with precision board and I can recommend it for general use. I was working on something that required an incredible amount of detail so I ended up using 31# Duna corafoam with good results.
    Is this something you could 3d print instead?

Some parts of it may have been better to 3D print while others were too large to reasonably do so. Since this was a personal project I could not warrant subcontracting the printing so I used the shopbot for all of it.

Do yo have any photos of the end results?

FYI Precision Board does have up to 75lb available. That is very dense.
    It is approved as core material under FRP in boats for mounting cleats through.
    Most sign guys consider the 30 lb the top they ever need to go and generally use 18.
    And also, (unless it is confidential) like to see some pics as well.

I have not used the precision board with that high of a density but will see if I can get a sample of it for next time. At the lower densities I tend to prefer Duna corafoam products over precision board, I find it seems finer than competitor's foams at the same density, is easier to finish smooth, less gritty, and is more easily available locally (Duna USA is somewhat nearby).

As for the project, it is a name sign I am making to go over my daughter's bed. This one is modeled after the Disney World castle with a few tweaks (I created one previously for my son that was modeled after the Pixar Cars logo). It is currently about 90% complete, I am finishing the internal LED lighting and still needs a few finishing touches.

IMG_0625.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tallen84 View Post
    As for the project, it is a name sign I am making to go over my daughter's bed.
    I was expecting some version of a sign, featuring a name. You know, just “regular old sign” type stuff.

THAT is not just “a name sign”! Very cool work!

Wow! Very nice! Somebody loves his little girl!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com