Thread: A solution for warped boards

Default A solution for warped boards

I think i have more warped boards then straight ones and this looks like a solution. Watch both videos, plans available thru Shopnotes magaine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrUcHUqTSyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNg9BV4IF2Q
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I dunno, seems to me that most of us reading this forum have CNC machines. Wedges and a larger flat bit will do the same thing. Done it many times to take chain saw marks off of slabs.

I’ve surfaced literally 100’s of slabs on the bot, but still use the planer for small stuff… it’s quicker than fastening small pieces down and making a cut file. The planer sled is a substitute for a wide jointer… if you don’t have one, the sled is ok, but still requires readjustment for each part. Not a production tool!

Talking about planers… I got my Shelix head installed on my DeWalt 13” planer yesterday… WOW! It’s like going from a PC router to a spindle. You can carry on a conversation while cutting! Also, I surfaced a stack of Osage orange tray blanks with no degradation in cut quality from start to finish!

I’ve been looking at a 20” Delta, but now won’t even consider it without factoring in a Shelix head…
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by cnc_works View Post
    I dunno, seems to me that most of us reading this forum have CNC machines. Wedges and a larger flat bit will do the same thing. Done it many times to take chain saw marks off of slabs.
    Hi Donn,
    I can't tell you how many times i've put a slab on the bot and it "wobbles like a weeble" and happen to see that sled and because many times my wedges come loose i thought it might be a good jig for us. I think once you get your wood situated on the jig many times it would be faster on a planer but there are instances where this would be good on a bot.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

While the cnc is great for boards larger than the jointer/planer can accommodate, it is quite slow. Produced a walnut dining table recently with a matched set of rough cut boards. Found myself reaching for the Bosch power planer to get a quick level on side one, then fastened to CNC bed to true one face. Reduced the CNC time greatly. If you've got even a basic scrub plane you can roughly true up by at least knocking off the very highest points.
    I got tired of watching the bit grind off 1/8 to 3/16 in a hand print sized area, then stop/re-start, re-set cut depth and go again.

Ultimately, you need to take into account all your tooling resources and not fall into the trap of thinking the CNC is the end of all arguments for wood processing. That could cost you in the long run, especially if you're in business.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I’ve surfaced literally 100’s of slabs on the bot, but still use the planer for small stuff… it’s quicker than fastening small pieces down and making a cut file. The planer sled is a substitute for a wide jointer… if you don’t have one, the sled is ok, but still requires readjustment for each part. Not a production tool!

Talking about planers… I got my Shelix head installed on my DeWalt 13” planer yesterday… WOW! It’s like going from a PC router to a spindle. You can carry on a conversation while cutting! Also, I surfaced a stack of Osage orange tray blanks with no degradation in cut quality from start to finish!

I’ve been looking at a 20” Delta, but now won’t even consider it without factoring in a Shelix head…
    SG
    Steve, I found the cutter head on Amazon, but can't find where to get replacement knives. Any idea on that? Hate to switch over and not be able to readily get replacement knives and have them in stock (production shop) for quick replacement/minimum down time.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don...

https://shelixheads.com/SHELIX-Accessories

Here’s where I ordered mine from… I don’t know if they are proprietary or not… The specs on the box say 15mm X 15mm with a 4” radius on the cutting edge, It listed a thickness also but don’t remember what it was…
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Steve, I found the cutter head on Amazon, but can't find where to get replacement knives. Any idea on that? Hate to switch over and not be able to readily get replacement knives and have them in stock (production shop) for quick replacement/minimum down time.
    I have a Grizzly 12" jointer/planer combo. I believe it takes the same inserts. I recently replaced mine with Byrd inserts I got from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. I've been pleased with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

We all have to work with what we have I guess. I have a wonderful Inca 10" over and under I've been using for pushing 40 years...it just isn't designed for heavy loads or heavy cuts which makes my Bot the goto tool for most heavy flattening. Besides, my back and my lazy bones aren't happy hefting the material and jig back and forth. Clever planer jig for sure though, especially if you have lots to do.