Thread: Tramming the Y axis on PRS alpha, where to adjust?

Default Tramming the Y axis on PRS alpha, where to adjust?

I know there is a million threads on tramming I understand what it is and I have measured it. X is easy just loosen mounting bolts and tap with deadblow and I have that under 0.002 over 5 inches now.

It's Y I can't really figure out how to tram outside of placing some shim stock between spindle and the mounting rail? I am 0.020 out over 5 inches on the y axis is more than I really want. Is there an adjustment I am not seeing?

That's the least method. I've got a few of those plastic shims in mine. Depends on the model year as to what could be done next. Mine was way out and I had to loosen the end plates and try to rotate the beam as much as I could. I don't recommend that route though unless you can't get it any other way. With the shims, be sure to back up the middle bolts some as well.
    Scott

If guns kill people, I guess pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk and spoons make people fat.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not" - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    That's the least method. I've got a few of those plastic shims in mine. Depends on the model year as to what could be done next. Mine was way out and I had to loosen the end plates and try to rotate the beam as much as I could. I don't recommend that route though unless you can't get it any other way. With the shims, be sure to back up the middle bolts some as well.
    Thanks, Yeah I saw I could tweak the beam but for trying to reach 1/2 distance which is 10 thou seemed like it would be much harder to do. There didn't seem to be anyway to adjust the angle with the vgroove rollers either, granted I can move the machine 10-15 thou just but grabbing the gantry and twisting but that's why it's a router and not a milling machine.

Need to order some shim stock though.

SB used to supply some of the plastic 'fork' shaped shims. They were for shimming the side v-rail/aluminum bar on the side extrusions. I'm sure that they would have some to send you. They were easier to work with.
    Scott

If guns kill people, I guess pencils misspell words, cars drive drunk and spoons make people fat.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not" - Thomas Jefferson