Thread: Helmsman Spar Urethane

Default Helmsman Spar Urethane

Anybody else use this stuff? I use the spray for a final finish over most of my signs. I like it a lot, easy to use, looks good, protects good, the only thing I don't like is the smell. It seems to take forever to go away. Even after it's dried for several days to a week it still smells. Wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks they'd like to share?

My other problem with it is where I live it's 100* and 100% humidty most of the Summer which makes it really hard to dry completely. It will stay tacky for days. My shop is in my garage, so I actually have taken to putting the finished signs in my RV with the A/C on and fans blowing on them. That helps a bunch.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

we have the same complaints as you do, plus sometimes I don't care for the amber tint it gives... that said, I don't know of a better product for a substrate that may shrink or swell a bit. It's very forgiving that way!

Glad I'm not alone. I use mostly cedar and redwood so I don't mind the little tint it sometimes gives. It's barely noticable on those woods and it makes the grain pop just a tiny bit and I like that look. Gently buffing it out with 0000 steel wool helps to take any little bit of "shininess" off, more so on redwood.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

Tried Helmsman. Once.
    Dies a horrible death in the first 9-12 months outside your shop. Yes, it is more economical than most brands, but re-working a finish for your client is beyond expensive.
    All Spar varnishes smell bad, so cannot help you there.
    I strongly advise you to purchase Epifanes high gloss varnish. None better. Period.
    You'll have best results with multiple coats as directed, which some argue is why it is superior, but once you try it, you'll quickly see it is an outstanding product. They even have versions that no longer require sanding between coats, if you follow schedule properly. Brushing may be your only option if you're relying on aerosol cans. If you do have a spray gun, thin around 30 -40% and it will lay out looking like glass. You can also follow up with a top coat of dull/satin if you prefer that sheen. Key is having a high solids gloss base coat. The flattening agents also soften the finish, compromising longevity.

jeff

Hello Walt. I hope you can find a test report that Fine Woodworking magazine ran years ago, which scientifically evaluated the durability of a full range of exterior finishes. As I recall, your finish did very badly in the tests. I have forgotten what the top rated finishes were. But it would be worth you time to look up the tests if you want the best exterior finish......

But I personally used your finish on two outside jobs, and both times, it failed in less than a year.

Good luck, Chuck
    Chuck Keysor (circa 1956)
    PRT Alpha 60" x 144" (circa 2004)
    Columbo 5HP spindle
    Aspire 9.0, Rhino 5

Here is a link that is a follow up to article Chuck mentioned. Pretty much says it all in one photo and two paragraphs:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/...nishes-the-end

Jeff

I've used Deft Oil finish on many outdoor projects. On my signs, facing west, it has lasted about 6 years. It is now ready to be refinished. I have it on a BBQ table I made for myself and that has lasted about 6.5 years and is now ready for finish. But the only part needing to be refinished is the side that has a southern exposure. The rest of the table is just fine. Sun seems to be the killer of this finish. Rain, snow, dry and windy don't seem to degrade it much. I used Deft Oil on a white oak outdoor sitting bench. They bring it in during the winter, but 7 years and going strong. They've slapped a new coat on once in that seven years. Just washed it and applied the new coat.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

I'm so glad to see some creative work being posted.

I feel sorry for anyone expecting clear coats to last. At one time I reverted to auto Clear with high UV protection. The only problem was these catalized coatings aren't flexible which means when wood expands and contracts there going to crack. There are several acrylic clears on the market that out last just about everything but none of them have the slick, pretty, surface as the spars.

At this time I seldom use clear coats except on my gold. It needs protection.