Thread: First Sign Job

Hybrid View

Default First Sign Job

For all you sign makers,

While I have cut HDU signs for others, I have been asked by an associate to machine, finish and install four signs for his development. I will have two 1 1/2" x 32" x 136" pieces that need to be adhered to a concrete bricked pedestal. For these two I envisioned having the pedestal constructed with either studs or lag shields then bolting them on. I would of course, counter sink and plug. Does this sound appropriate?

The other two signs (1 1/2" x 48" x 72") will be mated back to back with a 1/8" tabbed steel sheet (that would be your local political bureaucratic BS) for stability and mounting. Should these be bolted through or glued to the steel (or both). If glued, what type of adhesive would work and be permanent?

Lastly, they want the sign finished with Sherwin Williams Resilience exterior gloss (provided). Any comment on number of coats for longevity?

Thanks,

Bill

I'd suggest not using HDU. It doesn't like screws or being bolted down to anything. That stuff will crack under any stress. We use PVC on most signs but MDO is another favorite.

Thanks Joe. Unfortunately the specs call for sign foam. So at 11' 4" I believe that I'll have them affix a small ledger along the bottom to set it on. Then use counter sunk bolts with fender washers and some type of construction adhesive to top it off.

I guess the only good aspect about this project is that this sign will sit only four inches above grade.

Bill,

To make HDU last it's best to have it floating. That is not to bolt it down. I've had excellent success using HDU clips on the back which goes the full horizontal width of the panel. Top and bottom. Another advantage to this techniques is ease of installation. No screwing around.

One has to be on guard when a client calls out materials and paints like this. I give them my best advice and write a disclaimer. It's the best insurance you can get.

Thanks again Joe. Client is a friend that I do projects for when we are not doing art work. Specs came from the unreasonable local bureaucrats and design gurus. Another story there.

Can you enlighten me about the HDU clips? I've found some Lord adhesive that the tech people say will adhere HDU to the brick but I would like to know more about the clips.

Bill

Bill, Sure thing.

If you brouse Amazon under the heading of French Clips that will give you the idea. I've posted several times on the topic. It's so easy and will allow the HDU to move around. If you must, E6001 is much better than Lords for this project.

I know it's too late but PVC is far and away a better material for this kind of work. Here's a photo showing some of our PVC signs.

normansignco.com
    Attached Images Attached Images