Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adirondack Chair out of plywood?

I worked years ago at a company designing teak outdoor furniture, teak is extremely expensive unless you are buying tractor trailer loads. White oak holds up extremely well, I have had good luck with sapele outdoors too.

The Adirondacks pictured are white oak the lighter ones and sapele. the other furniture is sapele for the back patio of our library. No finish is needed on these woods I did coat the Adirondacks with sikkens

We do it all the time out of ACX 3/4" ply, works great, just make sure to prime, paint and seal the bottom of the legs with some ploy glue.

http://www.rfsd.k12.wi.us/schools/re...oodworking.cfm
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

If you want to make one out of plastic here is the cheapest alternative....lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Wow! This is an awesome set of responses! Thank you everyone!

I might give this a shot out of MDO... I've been wanting to try that stuff out for a while and this seems like a good project to test on. I was looking for a way I could make something out of a sheet good, pull it off the machine and assemble with some stainless fasteners. It seems like the only chance I have at that is using MDO, maybe some ACX.

In reality, as many have suggested real solid wood would be the correct choice. If I were making these for a customer I would definitely do that. I could see planing down some boards and making a jig to do that...

Woot is featuring an interesting folding Adirondack chair made out of HDPE...they call the hdpe "polywood" 😃

https://home.woot.com/offers/table-i...dack-chairs-13

HDO is far superior to MDO when it comes to longevity. Better looking edge effect too because of the number of layers.

How the hell are they offering a chair at that price... I cut HDPE all the time and I'm very certain my cost on HDPE alone would be the same/more than that chair!

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    How the hell are they offering a chair at that price...
    Probably recycled material and molded with fillers or as structural foam? If these chairs were solid HDPE they would be pretty heavy.

Woot specializes in closeouts and oddball stuff and usually have some pretty good deals. They list the material as HDPE, but no telling what form it's in or where it came from.

As an aside, I dont know if this is still the case but back when I was still working on boats Thailand had a massive tariff on teak lumber but not on teak products, to encourage manufacturing. We could always buy things made of teak way cheaper than we could the lumber to make it.

That was when teak was $6 bd ft in quantity...it's probably triple that now?

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Probably recycled material and molded with fillers or as structural foam? If these chairs were solid HDPE they would be pretty heavy.