Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone willing to experiment?

Question Anyone willing to experiment?

Hey everyone!

I've been working on/thinking about digital fabrication for a while, specifically distributing files for other people to make. The idea that I could send a digital file to someone else and they could use their machine to replicate the same thing is pretty compelling. As we all know it's not exactly magic. Every machine, sheet of material, bit, and intrepretation of a design is a little different.

To prove out this idea, I'm wondering if anyone would be up for an experiement. I've designed this table:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2hn1uz9jc...Guide.pdf?dl=0

https://goo.gl/photos/nt7c4g2UcjBS3hTi9

It's a two sheet table that's really sturdy, easy to fabricate and easy to assemble. It's "thickness agnostic" so all you need is any two sheets of 3/4 plywood as long as they're between .680 and .76 thick. You can mix and match sheet thicknesses too.

The table is assembled using simple furniture bolts and T nuts. You can get the hardware at Home Depot, Fastenal, or Amazon.

For someone to fabricate this they'll need a 4x8 machine, a 1/4" upspiral bit and optionally a compression bit for cutting out all of the parts.

For software all you need is Apsire or VCarve 9.0. I've provided complete toolpath'd files, along with a 3D SketchUp model, and for those that use different (or older) CAM software a well layered DXF file.

Would anyone be interested in building one of these as a test? I've already built several myself. I'd be very interested to see how someone else would do using my files...

Nicely done Eric, that's really slick! One can see that you have put a lot of thought into the details. I'd love to give it a try if I wasn't so busy with everyday stuff at the moment. I'm guessing chairs are next!?
    Scott

You should try thingiverse.com or grabcad as a distribution point. Thingiverse is mostly geared toward 3d printers, but has a fair bit of lasercut and CNC stuff as well. I have designs that have been downloaded thousands of times from there.

I'm guessing chairs are next!?
    I'll get there on chairs. I've been using these as lab/work benches and they work great.

Will, I've got the file distribution thing covered for now, what I'm looking to do is get someone to field test this design before I send it out into the wild. I know it's worked for me on a bunch of builds, but I don't know what I don't know... You know?

Are you still looking for someone to make and try out your design? If so you can PM with details. I will have some open time next week to play with it.
    Ron Moorehead
    R&S Design
    ShopBot PRS Aphla 48 by 96
    Laserpro Explorer 30 watt
    Universal Laser 50 watt
    3D printer

Ron, that would be awesome. I can send you all of the files. Is your email address the one that's in you profile?

Yes it is.
    Ron Moorehead
    R&S Design
    ShopBot PRS Aphla 48 by 96
    Laserpro Explorer 30 watt
    Universal Laser 50 watt
    3D printer

Any other takers? It's best if you have Aspire/VCarve 9 so you can open the files. There is a properly layered DXF too you can bring into an older version and do toolpathing if you want.

I can. was trying to figure out what I can do with it after I make it. I have aspire 9

Hey Steve, just sent you an email with the files!