Thread: Targets

Default Targets

Perhaps some one might get an idea of how to target a market by this little mailbox stuffer. I quickly design these up with a specific clients in mind and print a few on my little Epson. Each time I'm visiting clients I keep an eye out for possible new contacts. In rural Oklahoma there are plenty of mail boxes besides signs that need updating. While leaving one of these in a mailbox I write a little note along with my signature.

Another benefit is how these migrate and stay around. I may get a call months later asking for prices.The main difficulty is turning down little jobs. I don't make name plaques and address.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ha! Joe…
    If I were to put flyers in a PO box around here, I’d be looking at threatening letters from the homeowner’s association and the second time, a visit from the local postmaster! As I read the postal code, it’s all about trying to avoid paying postage… I wonder if it’s OK if I put a stamp on it?

Nice looking flyer!
    SG

I do believe there is something against the law about putting things such as flyers in mailboxes. Not sure if it's ok if it has a stamp on it or not. That would be something I would ask my local postmaster. Around me our mailbox posts have a built in newspaper "box" just below the mailbox and almost everyday someone is driving around stuffing something in them. I don't think I've ever actually seen a newspaper in one though.

Nice flyer, Joe, and I'd be more than happy to take your small name plaque and sign jobs.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

Sure hope you guys will visit me in prison.

I hired a former prison attendee who had refined his hand lettering while doing time. He was one of the best employees a person could find. However he violated is parole by not staying put. I'll need a few French Quills and a couple of Hog Hair Fitches. Not sure a stamp would work unless it went through the post office.

Everyone seems glad to see what's my signs. Once one goes up, there are calls wanting a price.

There are lots of targets. General advertising has seldom worked for me. Making little flyers are cheap and easy. Some of my targets are Vet Clinics, Chiropractic, Dentists, Apartments, Storage Facilities, etc. Each part of our country has it's own potential. If you live, way out in no mans land, I'd consider sending direct mail. For example there are sign companies that target dentists direct. Some of their signs are drop dead beautiful. Lets say, a person wanted to reach out to Irish Pubs and small brewery's. There are mailing lists that can be compiled for specific businesses in each state. Those lists are priced by the area to be covered. My last list was for half of my state. It was $165.00 The point is, you can look for what you want to do.

Yes you can also specify a mail route or carrier. Talk to your post office as they have many options.

Joe, at least it would be a cushy federal prison.

You always have good ideas Joe. And it's nice of you to share them. Someday I hope to be even the slightest bit close to your level. I don't think I have enough time though.

As for the PO, they are what they are and can be nasty if they want. I've been curious and I recently went and asked our postmaster about the flat rate vs not flat rate boxes and what would happen if I put non flat rate postage on a flat rate box and crossed out "flat rate". After all a box is a box, one has "flat rate" printed on it, the other doesn't, but they are the same box. He said it would probably either be returned for insufficient postage or they could try to collect from the receiver. He pointed out the small printing on the boxes, that I was aware of, that says something like "This is the property of the USPS and is for USPS Priority Mail use only. Misuse may be a violation of Federal law". I pointed out to him that it did not say "for flat rate use only" it only said "for Priority mail use only". He said it didn't matter. He also said if they really wanted to they could fine you for misusing USPS property. People used to turn the boxes inside out to beat the system but now they print the inside of the boxes too, and it's also illegal to turn them inside out he said. So yeah, just be careful. You used to be able to stick flyer in between the flag and mailbox, but I'm sure that's probably illegal now too.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

I never thought there would ever be a Micro-Brewery fad that would go up against giants like Bush and Budwiser. As we all know that's a huge and growing market. If I only had more time I'd consider doing some artwork along those lines. Wouldn't it be neat to investigate Irish Pub signs. Much of that work would include historical digital prints.While traveling in England I was fascinated with pub titles like "Slug & Lettuce", "Lions Den", "Muscle Inn" and an unlimited number of un-reverent titles. Most of the English, Irish, and Scotch artwork was a combination of carved wood panels with hand painted logo's and lettering. Lots of gold.

Here's an example of potential direct mail targeting. I'd bet there's a dozen or more pubs opening up every day.

Don't get too comfortable with your life. You should do some stretching every now and again. Yes you're going to fail sometimes but that's the price for personal success.

Joe