Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having more fun

Default Having more fun

Every once in a while a customer will come by who isn't interested in kicking tires. This was husband and wife team starting up a new RV Park. They had done their research. On their Iphone they had saved a photo made in Colorado. It was extremely attractive so that was the bench-mark.

I emailed them the artwork below. Within one day I had a nice deposit. I'm still thinking it's the artwork people spark to. It's not only the quality of the finished product although that's also important too. But, you get folks going in the right direction with the illustration.

Not everyone has those skills but there's lots of guys who do and they are looking for work. I hire out as much labor as I can. As I've said previously, I no longer do any routing. The ears and lungs are have moved on to quieter, cleaner work. Nothing wrong with routing but at my age it's isn't an option.

I still enjoy making money.

Joe

Attached Images Attached Images

Elite Wood Designs, LLC, Social Circle GA

Hey Joe,

When it comes to signs, you are definitely the master signmaker!! I would love to begin doing some signs and believe there may be a market around where I live. What would you use to make these illustrations you presented to this couple? I've been following your posts for quite some time now, and want to jump in and start doing some things like this. I've gotta start somewhere and it might as well be now. Thanks for your time and inspirations you post.

Jay Waters

Jay,

When entering this life time adventure I bought a router with the notion of cutting letters and panels. Why not cut letters and sell them to other local sign shops. So, I made a little one page flyer showing lots of letter styles. I'd order fonts them when orders came in. The title of my little advertisement was, LETTERS, LETTERS, LETTERS. That ended up getting me unexpected work. Today, you could use white.75 PVC and expect it to last for years.

Making sample letters can pay dividends. Finishing is a major part. Using textures has always been part important. One of my favorite materials is Sculpt Nouveau but there are plenty other texture additives.

Find a process and method you like to do and go for that.

Joe, those are nicely done!

Roger,

Thanks, The client chose first drawing and came by with his deposit. The only change was the title to"Crossroads"

The rough cedar was picked up last Friday and the work will begin today. I'll take a snap or two along he way. Nothing new in the process. Same old techniques of glue up and painting. The client is purchasing his own posts and doing the installation. Woopee!

Cool! Looking forward to the pics.

I'm running a little behind on this project. Today is the fabrication stage and I'll join the edges. For this job I'm using a Festool TS55 track saw. This may not be the method cabinet makers would us but I'm looking forward to not having a joiner in the process. Another use of the track saw is cutting down on having to manage 1" PVC on my table saw. That's a back breaker. Also the Festool cuts such a clean edge! What a tool.

Attached Images Attached Images

Yep-Great tool.

Bleeth,

I guess everyone has this equipment. Can't believe how far behind I am with this. While it may not be faster than a stationary joiner, it certainly is more fool proof and less stress on the back. I went through eleven eight foot boards in about forty five minutes. Even though this was the maiden voyage, I'm not sure it would go faster next time. One thing for sure you need a vacuum in the process. The Festool blade makes plenty of powder.

Half way through the process I applied a little baby powder to the guide which made a considerable difference. I wonder if there's any silicone in those powders?

You can hook a dust collector up to the discharge on the saw. Like the saw, Festool's own dust collector isn't inexpensive, but it is a high quality tool and not only does a great job but will last "forever".