Thread: Need help, is it the motor or the driver

Default Need help, is it the motor or the driver

I am in the process of setting up an indexer on my 48 inch Buddy.
    I bought and installed the proper Gecko drive.
    Opened the Shopbot box and installed the resistor for the motor and put the drive on the pins provided for it.
    Set the DIP switches as per the manual.
    Installed the Wago plug using the schematic provided with the motor and the info on the shopbot web site.
    At first it worked perfectly. But the motor felt kind of hot to the touch.
    I started to find the right number to plug into the Vu screen so that it would actually turn 360 deg. when it though that it was. Got to the point where it was only off by about 4 degrees in 10 turns of the chuck.
    All of a sudden the motor went into super low speed. Sound also quite a bit different. When I told it to turn 20 degrees in the plus direction it did so but really slowly.
    Said a lot of bad words, stomped the floor an cursed the guy who ever thought this up in the first place.

Now here is the problem
    I measured the voltage of each winding as it comes from the Gecko drive. (With no motor installed) It is 17.2 volts using a digital meter of good quality.
    I am thinking as the next step that I should swap the Y cable on the back of the control card for the new B cable. If I set the software to the right setting should I not be able to move the y axis back and forth if the Gecko drive is good? This then would indicate a bad motor?
    The motor measures resistance of about 5 ohms across each winding and they are both the same/

OK gurus - what would you do next?

Tom I had a lot of troubles intalling an indexer on our Buddy 12 months back. It turned out the PCB was mislabled with A swapped with B. Suggest you contact support as in our case it was an easy fix.
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer