Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

I am desperately trying to decide on a CNC. I have managed to narrow it down to two choices. One of which is the Shopbot Desktop. The other is the Axiom A4 basic. The A4 has 6 inches more y axis travel. It is heavier and I can outfit it with more for less money than the shopbot. Cons - no 4th axis will be available for this model, only their Pro model will have this capability. I would get the pro but I am limited to 110 volt service (I have a renegade shop in a storage unit 110 v access only.)

The ShopBot Desktop with spindle is out of my price range. if I added the accessories I can get with the AXIOM A4 it would be in the 8500 dollar range.

The Router version is still a lot pricier than the Axiom and I have to provide a dedicated computer still. The Axiom is pendant controlled.

4th axis is available of course at +/- 1000.00 dollars. I also like the available 3d duplicator option. The main con is the 18" y axis, granted my projects are mostly more narrow but how limiting to desktop owners find this?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Hi my name is Martin and I'm a Shopbot user.

I can't comment on the Axiom so please bear with me. The after sales with the Shopbot team is excellent, especially when you are new and trying to get to grips with the different functions, terminology and set-up requirements. I remember they were very patient. Also do you get design software with the Axion? The VCarve Pro Shopbot Edition that comes with the machine is excellent. And finally from me, is there an active Axion forum? Take a look around here there are answers to everything.

All the best with your dilemma
    Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin Reid

PS the dedicated computer can be an old used laptop (Windows XP even - off the net no security issues).

I agree with Martin way back I bought a used Shopbot that I was the 3rd owner and when I needed help Shopbot was there to help even though the unit was 10 years old. I sold that unit and have heard that the person that bought it was still getting help nothing major but questions on how to add and change stuff.

DITTOS TO THE ABOVE. I have been using nothing but a router since i got my shop bot buddy and not sure a spindle would be that much better. i am sure it still requires a 20 amp 110. I never even thought about a 4th axis and with what i do, not sure how it would help. I do have the upgraded aspire software which i like since i do mainly 3-d carvings. I know nothing about axiom.

I also did a lot of research before I bought my Bot. The tipping of the scales was every time I asked I dumb question I actually got really good answers for some really friendly folks. Also take a peek at the members projects in the virtual show and tell. The quality of the work should show what the machine is capable of. The rest of course is up to you. PS here's the stats from the Axiom Forum and from the ShopBot forum. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

That Gary Campbell character, he's a virtual 'Where's Waldo'!
    Scott

Scott...
    I reached the end of the internet years ago. I am on my way back
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

When I first started on the internet it would fit on a 3.5 floppy

I looked over the Axiom Forum and it looks ok, but the one thing I hate about their forum is it's full of ads. So lets have a forum to help people share but we are going to make some money off of you.

I love the Shopbot forum.
    Ron Moorehead
    R&S Design
    ShopBot PRS Aphla 48 by 96
    Laserpro Explorer 30 watt
    Universal Laser 50 watt
    3D printer

Shopbot offers excellent support and this forum is second to none.

The only thing that I struggle with is the SB control software. I'm still on the last 3.6 version because I don't have time to upgrade and troubleshoot new versions. I tried updating to the latest version more than a year ago and I was dead in the water for two days trying to troubleshooting software problems that should have been production ready. I am a production shop that uses Shopbot Link heavily. I cut over a thousand sheets of plywood a year along with a lot of solid wood parts. The Shopbot machine on 3.6 control software has been virtually bullet proof. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. When your livelihood depends on your machine running, without problems, you can't afford to be updating software and going into a test and troubleshoot mode to get it to work. It should work when you load it up. And with SBLink, I am really leery about software upgrades, both SB Control and SBLink. If I was a hobby woodworker it would be different because I'd have the time to fix things each time I upgraded.

Other than that, the Shopbot is a great machine in the price range it is targeted for.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.