Thread: Edging on cedar tpe camping signs

Default Edging on cedar tpe camping signs

First sign. Not my normal use of the Bot but Been asked to do a sign with an edge similar to these. Been hunting for clues on how to cut the side edges I have VCarve Pro and full size Bot PRS alpha (I think). Any suggestions? Thanks for any suggestions or tips.
    b5.jpg
    Pine Cone Lodge.jpg

Jim…
    Here’s how I do it… But this method will yield identical parts every time, you can also do this free hand with a band saw and spindle sander for more random results.

V-carve between the blue vectors, play with the bit angles and the vectors to get the look you’re after. If you want, you can cut all the way through with your V-bit… I prefer to cut the perimeter on the red vector which I’ve drawn to correspond to the tip of the path of the v-bit.

By doing it on the bot and not freehand, you can see exactly where text will run into “cracks”.
    The beauty of this method is that no wood is wasted with trial and error… renderings tell all!

Have fun!

SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Steve - only problem for me is I don't know where the blue lines come from.

I created a test profile last week but haven't found the way to create the 'blue' lines. Very basic question I know and with a very easy answer but I can't find it, Sorry.

I attended a SB weekend session several years ago and this was discussed but, alas, my notes are incomplete.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Jim…
    The “blue” lines are just simple vectors you create in VCP. I made them blue to simplify explaining. The outermost vector is the perimeter of your board, or at least the max size you want the sign. The innermost vector I drew randomly ragged to get the desired effect. The red vector I used for my perimeter cut was created by following the toolpath line of the V-bit cutting between the blue vectors. Again, the red vector is just a regular vector that I assigned a color to, to simplify the explanation. They will likely be black when you create them…
    SG

When I do signs like that I have the bot do the text and artwork then bandsaw and do some texture with some die grinders with wood shaping bits, 15 min of hand work can make it look like an authentic hand made sign. Experimenting with a torch and nylon and wire wheel brushes can give a nice sandblasted effect.

Duh!. Silly me. Of course. See, I said it was an easy answer. Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harnett View Post
    When I do signs like that I have the bot do the text and artwork then bandsaw and do some texture with some die grinders with wood shaping bits, 15 min of hand work can make it look like an authentic hand made sign. Experimenting with a torch and nylon and wire wheel brushes can give a nice sandblasted effect.
    That was my backup plan but wanted to learn something new. Thanks for the tip though.

Ok. Just made a test file and cut it. I knew it was simple but sometimes one just has to figure out where the 'Start' button is. Thanks Steve and Brian for your input.

All in all Brian's method will product a more natural looking sign. But if you have a CNC and dedicated to using it that may shunt the creative process.