Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z Zero from Spoilboard for Profile Cut Question

Walt...
    Yes you can, in fact you should. That warning will always occur on a proper outline cutout. It warns that you will cut thru, isn't that what you want to do?
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary, lol, yes. Just wanted to make sure I was thinking the right direction (up not down). Thank you.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

If you do this it will not air cut but cut into the spoil board that is why it is called a spoil board.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_stanek View Post
    If you do this it will not air cut but cut into the spoil board that is why it is called a spoil board.
    So then what is the purpose of zeroing off the spoilboard? I can cut into the spoilboard all I want zeroing off the top. Now I'm back to square one if that's the case. :/
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

If you zero off the spoil board and have surfaced your spoil board when you input the material and tell your software to cut the material thickness it should just cut your material. I always tell it to cut .001 more than the material and it just scratches the spoil board

Walt, you're over thinking it and wandering too close to the tall weeds. ;-)

It sounds like you do a lot of surface work, be it v-carving, pocketing, etc. in your projects. Just continue to z zero off the top of material at the machine and also in your job setup in VCP/Aspire. Always keep these two things the same. If you mix the two, you'll have issues, believe me! When it comes time to make a profile cut, just set your depth of cut to be at least the thickness of your material or just a small amount more so that you're sure to cut all the way through. No need to change anything at the control software. Now get out there and make some sawdust (of the proper size chip of course)! ;-)

The main purpose for zeroing off the table surface would be for those that do a lot of sheet goods or parts where you want to have a consistent thickness of material left over, such as a dado for cabinet parts that when assembled, will add up to the proper cabinet width. If you were to work this way and do some v-carving on the part, you would have to set the exact thickness of your material in VCP/Aspire, not nominal, otherwise your v-carving could be too shallow or deep. With zeroing on the material surface, your v-carving will turn out proper each time and you can just set a nominal job thickness and set your depth of cuts so that you at least cut through.

I work most of the time zeroing off the part and just set a nominal job thickness like 0.75", knowing that it may be a bit more or less and then just be sure my cut depth for a profile cut is deep enough to cut through.
    Scott

If you typically zero to the top of the material, on those occasions where you create a file requiring you to zero to the spoil board, just create a note to remind yourself.

Edit > note > "Don't forget to zero to the spoil-board before running this file!!!!!!"

If you start the note with a period '.' it will automatically open when you open the file.
    PRS Alpha 96-60 ATC
    16.9hp Republic Regenerative Blower
    Aspire 8.5
    eCabinets with ShopBot Link

https://www.facebook.com/SyzygyWoodworks/

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Walt…
    It looks like the Vectric thread has hashed out the issues well…
    Here’s another wrinkle… Because I’m old and forgetful, I have to do it the same way every time! I Z zero to the top of the material… BUT, if I’m cutting a perimeter that is going all the way through, I zero to the bed, raise the bit up the DESIGN thickness and re zero. This way leaving VCP set to zero to the top of material still works and I don’t have to remember to keep changing my setting in VCP.
    SG
    I have automated this. I have a adjustable screw connected to my z plate and i level it with the table. I made a little program where the machine jogs over to it zeros on it like normal waits for me to enter a thickness and then it refer's at that hight.
    that way if something happens i can rezero without moving the material to get to the spoiloard.