Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about dimensional sign making..

Joe do you design your signs in Aspire? You must have done something like this before...

Eric,

No I started designing before Aspire hatched. My best tool is a pencil but for the digital work I use Flexisign. It's been my digital tool for thirty five years. But it still starts in the brain and goes to the pencil first.

Thanks for all the posts and for trying to help me understand.

Maybe my question should have been more about the finishing of a multilayered sign as opposed to the fabrication of it..

In Aspire, thanks Scott, a sign can be modeled in 3D and then cut but it leaves out how to finish the multilayered sign. I've tried painting a sign before with multi-layers and it just doesn't come out correctly for me.

Assume you want to stain the layers a different color? In wood that stain is going to be absorbed in places you don't want it so it seems to me it has to be cut separately and then assembled...

Kevingunn, is that milled from a single piece of material? how did you finish it in two tone?

Adam,

Have you done anything yet? If so please show us what you've done.

www.normansignco.com

Threw this together real quick... but you get the idea.

SNAG-0061.jpg

This is still 1 piece of material that is cut in 3D. There's no way I could hand paint the "ROBINSON" white or the top text another color.. so that brings me back to my original dilemma, how do I create a multi-colored sign?

Adam,

Maybe in one of these, or in the links?
    Shame I can't see Connor's pics for some reason...He's excellent!
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vect...w=1366&bih=628
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

The use of the paired words "no way" is your first mistake. I bet that you can. Maybe not great on first try but it is simply a skill that can be learned like many others.
    First thing to understand-Using the right brush and paint quality will go a long way towards making that kind of work doable.
    Make up a few smaller5 samples out of some mdf-seal them, and practice. Well made dimensional signs are not inexpensive. There is a reason for that. The people who do them well do so because they put in the time to learn by research and practice. Ownership of a CNC mill does not automatically bestow one with all the skills to produce a high quality finish product. It is a combination of skills and a process to learn. But-rewarding!

Yep, there's some craftsmanship needed.

3d often requires some brush skills. Although I'm a brush guy I seldom rely on that when placing copy over copy. Just cut the thing out and plop it down. Gees it's so simple. At present we have lots of dimensional work in the shop most of which needs 3d. None of it requires hand lettering because all the copy is pocketed. Pocket, Pocket, and Pocket.

When making any kind of sign, using the perfect letter style makes all the difference. Understanding Font architecture is so important. Most, if not all of my signs start with the lettering. I build around the panel shape around that.

I understand that you can't just drop it on the table and expect miracles... well actually I was hoping for that, lol!

My biggest problem is with staining on wood as it draws into the grain you don't get clean lines.

So, if I wanted to make this sign in 3 pieces ( Base/Top Text/Bottom Text) using an inlay method would that make sense? Would it be a similar process as stacking TEXT?

Adam,