Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about dimensional sign making..

Default Question about dimensional sign making..

My first post to the forum...

I was interested in creating a sign similar to the attached but I'm not 100% certain on how this was accomplished.

Was this created using inlay's or did they somehow precisely paint/stain the different transitions?

Does anyone have any experiences with creating a similar sign that might have a demo/video/write-up on how to accomplish?

Thanks.

Adam,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adam…
    There are several ways to approach this project… two ways that don’t involve pocketed letters.

If you own Aspire, you can just extrude one set of text higher than the other and cut it as a 3D project.

If you are using a 2D program like VCP, You’ll first pocket around the higher text and the border. Second, you’ll pocket deeper around the union of both sets of text at a deeper depth.

Creating the union of both sets can be tricky! VCP has a “weld” function that sometimes works, but often, for me I land up doing it by hand using node editing…

If you need more detailed instructions, just ask!

SG

Based on the example you posted I think it was done exactly as Steve has suggested. Look closely at your example pix and you will see the wood grain is apparent on all levels of the text, so no inlays were used in your example. However you could do it as overlays.

On the above examples the background was very lightly scribed with the design / letters / borders. Then the pieces were all cut out and pre painted and then applied to the pre painted / scribed background. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks for the reply's.

I love the contrasting colors of a dimensional sign and applaud you guys for your talents.

If I had a steady hand it might make sense to do try it as a single item in Aspire, I use the demo version, I have a buddy who owns the full version. I should have looked better at the grain of the wood, good catch.

Steve, in the example you posted I'm struggling in seeing how Johnathan & Abbey would inset into Miske.

I see the the cut out of the Johnathan & Abbey, makes sense.

SNAG-0125.jpg

I also get the "base" layer that includes both Johnathan & Abbey and Miske

SNAG-0126.jpg

But I don't see how Miske will allow for the Johnathan & Abbey text to be inset into the Miske after Miske is set as it doesn't seem to be inlaid for the text?

SNAG-0127.jpg

OR am I missing the assembly, does Minske need to be set after the base is cut and then routed for setting Johnathan & Abbey?

Thanks,

Adam,

You keep saying 'inset' but I don't think that is what you mean. What software do you have? It would be easier to try to help you if we knew that info...

Your CNC cuts the pockets from the top down. So on the first pass, it would cut around the 'Johnathan & Abby' type and ignore the 'Miske' as it is below the bottom of the pocket during that pass. When the depth of pass is finally below the surface of 'Miske' it would then pocket around both sets of type (as shown in your 2nd image) until it reaches max. pocket depth.

Mike

I can use Aspire.

Sorry, inset really should be inlaid. Since I'm green to signing my terminology is certainly wrong, sorry about that.

Although, I don't think I want to cut this as a 3D object and layered in like Aspire would do since that won't give me the ability to create different colors without the tedious painting or staining.

I'm thinking the sign needs to be made in 3 pieces similar to how Steve's process was laid out.

Adam,

Perhaps it will be easier to see if I show you the pocket of the union of the two texts first…

Then the pocketing of J&A…

There are no individual letters with this method.

If you want individual letters for ease of painting, that’s another technique altogether!

With the one-piece design, you can paint/stain the entire project and then sand off the finish on the highest text layer for more contrast. However, remember, one feature of dimensional signage is that clarity and definition comes from shadows cast by the letters
    !

SG

I think I understand the process then..

The first pass removes the material for everything leaving the two text and the border.

The second pass removes material from the two text leaving the J&A, is that correct?

Adam,

Man of Man.

I've found that you gotta get in the water to learn how to swim. All the instructions in the world won't be of much help till you take a big gulp or two.

www.normansignco.com

I've done some of these using Vcarve Pro.

wedding.jpg

They're fun to make, and I got the idea from the same Etsy store you've found. However, they do take quite a bit of time -- both yours and the bot. Like Steve mentioned, it takes a bit of experience to get those lower level welds right!