Thread: Its Daycare time again!! (yeah?) :)

Default Its Daycare time again!! (yeah?) :)

Those who've been around here for a few years probably remember I do a yearly "have a lot of kids visit my shop" day in the summer.

Well, tomorrow is that day! And its year #6... hard to believe, 2012 was the first year I started this (and the year I got my Shopbot router).

For those who don't know, I have 4 groups of about 20 kids (80 total) from two local daycare's visit my shop for approx. 2 hours each group.

We briefly discuss the trade, what goes on in the shop - and give a little tour. Then we give every kid a chance to try a bunch of hand tools - a few different planes, both NA and Japanese style hand saws, my old Disston mitre box saw, a coping saw, and drill some hole with egg beater and brace style drills.

After a bit of that, we always end with buidling a project they can take home. We've done a few styles of pencil boxes, picture frame and last summer, a bird house. Its always a bit of a hard time to think of something that I can easily cut on the router, not cost me a fortune in materials or time, and that the wide range of boys & girls can handle to sand and put together.

This year I decided on a Canada goose mobile. Today I cut the 2 1/2 sheets of 4x8' 6mm Baltic birch ply. The vacuum table makes this possible. In all the parts (about 84 of each wing half, and body) I had only a couple pieces let go of the vacuum.

Here are some pics..

and here is the prototype I cut from mdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbdZ...m-upload_owner

That's my son Joseph in the video. He is 6 1/2 now. We will be in the group tomorrow!

Here he is around 2 yrs old

Good on you Andrew! I chickened on the young ones this year and went for the 16/17 year olds. I was the shortest guy in the workshop! Two of them look like taking up CNC which is most gratifying. Your bird house from last year I used on 48 over fifties (mainly well over 70). Two of them went on to CNC on Sharks,
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

That's awesome!!
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

NEAT project for them Andrew!
    Hope your day goes smoothly!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

great job. I can't imagine having little kids on my shop you may never find them again (G)

Well, we survived the day! About 76 kids. Solid work from 9 am to 3 pm, with a 40 minute lunch break.

Was super busy, tiring and I think I`ve had my fill until next year.

WIll post some pics later. No issues, no injuries again. And as far as I know, other than a few broken coping saw blades none of my tools were damaged, lol. Although I always worry about my Japanese saws.