Thread: Expanding available tool numbers

Default Expanding available tool numbers

Hello,

I recently was trying out Fusion 360 CAM functions to create shopbot toolpaths and I found some very interresting features. First there are a lot of different type of toolpaths that are easy to setup and can do different cutting strategy than VCarve Pro. Second, Fusion CAM simulation can check for collisions between the tool or the collet and the part being machined. That last thing is awesome.

So I am thinking of creating my tool database in fusion and would like to use the same tool numbers as in the VCarve pro tool database but the basic shopbot software only allow for 19 tool numbers.

In order to make use of the tool collision detection in Fusion, I would need to define all my tools individually and would like to assign them unique numbers. We are in 2017 after all and only 19 tool numbers seems a bit out of date...

Question 1: has anyone been able to use other numbers for standard Z axis tools ? if so how ?

Question 2: Do you think it would be possible to modify the software in the C:\SBParts\ folder to make tool numbers, let's say from 100 to 500 behave like 1-19... ? I am thinking of modifying the files but its a lot of work and I would prefer that the next release of the shopbot software would incorporate those type of changes... Maybe some of you have already done this ?

Marc…

I too would like to see an expansion of tool numbers… However, I find the current system nicer to use than when I had to use a separate post processor for my second Z!

You state that:

there are a lot of different type of toolpaths that are easy to setup and can do different cutting strategy than VCarve Pro

I’m curious what those different cutting strategies are.

Thanks!

SG

Hello SG,

One example of nice toolpath features (even though not a strategy per se) is : when you have to carve pockets out of a model, you just select all the different pockets bottom faces from your 3D model, even if they are at different depth, and Fusion pockets them all for you in one toolpath.

Also, in 3D carving, one can carve using a spiral, a radial, a parallel form, etc. I have not tried all of them yet but it is a nice complement to VCarve Pro.

Using VCP, you can also cut several pockets of various sizes and depths using a single toolpath, provided they all use the same cutter.

Hello 8Ball,

I'd really like to know how VCP can do multiple depth pockets in the same toolpath... I know you can output multiple toolpaths to the same file for cutting but otherwise, I don't know that trick.

Marc...
    Read the code in the "MTC" file. If you can understand a few lines of "<" or ">" then you can make your required changes
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks Gary. I will give it a good try and share my results if I succeed...