Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z Zero from Spoilboard for Profile Cut Question

Default Z Zero from Spoilboard for Profile Cut Question

Trying to learn something new. I've always zeroed from the top of the material for everything. I now want to zero from the spoilboard for my profile cuts. So I put the zero plate on the spoliboard and zero as normal. Now I need to tell the machine how thick the material is, right? So I need to change the number in the Zero space to a negative number coninciding with the thickness of the material, correct? How do I go about this? I've played with the Zero tab but can't seem to find it there. Any help, maybe crayons and construction paper, would be appreciated. Thanks!
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

Walt...
    you need to re-toolpath with your material setup for z-zeroing from bed. If you need more info than that, and I'll elaborate when I'm home and not on my phone!
    SG

Thanks, I'm confused. Was discussing it on the Vectric forum http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.p...7f1c0d51219731 but now that I got out to the shop to try and figure it out it's not adding up. I figured how to change the spoilboard zero from 0 to a negative number in SB which basically puts 0 back to the top of the matrerial. I guess maybe that's it. If it helps for a thickness number I'm using -0.71 at the moment but it really doesn't matter in principle right now.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

Not sure if I'm understanding this but the way I do it is in vectric (in my case Aspire) material setup section I select zero to spoilboard, set the material depth as per usual and that's it. Use the zero plate on the spoilboard to zero.
    Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Walt…
    It looks like the Vectric thread has hashed out the issues well…
    Here’s another wrinkle… Because I’m old and forgetful, I have to do it the same way every time! I Z zero to the top of the material… BUT, if I’m cutting a perimeter that is going all the way through, I zero to the bed, raise the bit up the DESIGN thickness and re zero. This way leaving VCP set to zero to the top of material still works and I don’t have to remember to keep changing my setting in VCP.
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    Walt…
    It looks like the Vectric thread has hashed out the issues well…
    Here’s another wrinkle… Because I’m old and forgetful, I have to do it the same way every time! I Z zero to the top of the material… BUT, if I’m cutting a perimeter that is going all the way through, I zero to the bed, raise the bit up the DESIGN thickness and re zero. This way leaving VCP set to zero to the top of material still works and I don’t have to remember to keep changing my setting in VCP.
    SG
    THIS is what I'm trying to accomplish. The Vectric thread has gone a thousand times over my head at this point.

I want to leave the settings in VCP at Z 0 to the top of the material. If I have to change it to the bottom each time for a profile cut I WILL forget.

I want to zero off the spoilboard...using the touch plate.

I want to then tell the SB control software how thick the piece is.

So after I zero, the machine raises up and stops.

Now, this is where I'm stuck.

Do I tell the machine to "go to" Z 0 (which will now be the top of the spoilboard), go to the "Zero" tab, select "Z Zero" and then enter into the "Zero" setting box the thickness of my material, as a negative number, for example -0.71? If I do this my Zero setting is now reading -0.71 with the bit at the spoilboard, and if I raise up to "0" the bit is at the top of the material. Sounds right in theory, but want to make sure before I ruin something.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

Walt, what Simops said is spot on....

You don't (and probably shouldn't) ever put a negative number in your material thickness in Aspire.

If you want to zero off of your spoilboard, do so with your zero plate and make sure that you have that set in Aspire in your material setup. If you want to zero off the top of your material do that with your zero plate as normal and make sure that it's set in Aspire.

Windows_10.jpg

Screwing this up can result in two outcomes: You drive the bit into your table or work piece and ruin both your bit and your work, or at best you do a bit of air cutting. Trust me I've made the mistake several times of of not having Aspire match where I've zero'd.

So what you want is this: You never want to touch the setting in Aspire so you don't make that mistake, I get it. However, no matter how you slice it, you're going to remember to have to an extra thing. That "thing" is either remembering to have Aspire set to where you actually zeroed, or remembering to jog up your Z and zero there. I'd go with making sure that your zero plane matches what's in Aspire, it's more intuitive and it's the way things are "supposed to work".

I ALWAYS double check that where I've zero'd matches what I have in Aspire. It's part of my mental "pre flight check list" now. If you're that paranoid about forgetting, you could even ad an extra reminder into the starting script that makes you push the start button twice or something so that you remember.

Walt...
    Due to the variations in responses in the Vectric thread, you may have been confused. Here is where:

"I want to leave the settings in VCP at Z 0 to the top of the material. If I have to change it to the bottom each time for a profile cut I WILL forget.

I want to zero off the spoilboard...using the touch plate."

You CAN NOT do this. Its simple.

If you wish to set the Z datum (z zero) to the spoilboard you must also set the Z datum to material bottom (spoilboard) in Vectric material setup. There are no other operations required, design exactly the same, no negative numbers, everything is the same. You don't need to tell the machine anything about the thickness, it doesn't care.

All that is required is that you enter, in your Vectric material setup, an accurate material thickness.

Don't try and make this complicated.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Thanks all!

Thanks Gary! That thread got waaayyyyyyyy over my head and way too many different options, and I didn't even want to get into different machine control software there as that just would have confused the issue even more.

As for all the other things over there, I'm doing very basic, simple, small, personal, one off signs. Nothing that requires 0.00000001 accuracy. I don't mind using the touch plate, for me it's easy and works for my purposes. My eyes don't. I'll never be to the level of needing much more in my lifetime.

Anyway, I will try using the zero to bottom in VCP. I always measure my material in several places with digital calipers so I have an accurate thickness to go from. I appreciate your simple and straightforward response after everything over there had my head spinning.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx

One more question. When I set the zero location in VCP to bottom and set the Cut Depth, say my piece is 0.71, can I put in 0.725 just to be sure? Will that, instead of cutting into the spoilboard like if I zeroed off the top, air cut just a fraction instead? Reason I ask is when I set materil thickness to 0.71 and cut depth to 0.725, even setting Zero to the bottom, it warns me that it will cut through the material.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx