Thread: How to Carve Barn Wood / Dock Wood

Default How to Carve Barn Wood / Dock Wood

I just had a request to carve some names into some "dock wood". Not sure much more about it than that but it's wood from a dock, who knows how old or what condition. I said I'd need to know more and asked some questions and am waiting answers.

IF...it is not rotting and in usable condition, how do I carve it? I've seen a lot of pictures of old barn wood carved, but have no idea how to go about it. Everything I cut is flat and smooth, I assume all this stuff is rough, weathered, grainy, maybe twisted or warped, etc. So how does one go about carving something like that? Somehow I don't think the first thing you want to do with some nice old wood is sand it down...or am I wrong?
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard

Dear Walt

Here are the links to a couple of threads about twisted boards..

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...highlight=flat

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...highlight=flat

I would add a different consideration. Make sure there is no 'hidden' metalwork or fixings in the wood. You can imagine the problems if you run into these. We had had issues with this in the past, enough to warrant the purchase of a metal detector.

I will watch this thread with interest

Sincerely and in good faith
    Martin Reid

" Make sure there is no 'hidden' metalwork or fixings in the wood." That's the first thing I thought about too! When you say carving are you talking about v-carving letters to make a sign or 3d carving to make a scene? Either way I have done a couple of lettering jobs and I didn't worry to much about the uneven surface as I made inset letters to go into the freshly carved pockets. Have fun. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

A metal detector would be good for finding hidden nails.

Walt,

I can't imagine giving advice about carving on something without even seeing it. Please show us what you've got.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have anything concrete yet. It was a request of "do you think you can do something like this?", with a request for more information. I'm still waiting for more information. The only thing I got was dock boards maybe up to 4' long and carving a name in the center of a couple of them for a wall hangings above sliding glass doors overlooking the backyard. It's for a friend of a friend, so I have to wait. All she told me was they were dock boards they salvavged from part of the dock at the house they just bought (the people the Lucky's Landing sign I posted recently was for). So that's all I've got so far. Thanks for the heads up about metal in the boards!!! I'll post as I know more.
    ShopBot Desktop 24x18
    Spindle
    VCarve Pro 8.5xx
    ScottP Super Deluxe Spoilboard